Too close for comfort

I am relatively new to CM as a whole and I just make my first steps at complex battles.

In must scenarios, even if a fail I can see what I might have done wrong and how to improve in the future.

But the CM:FI "too close for comfort" scenario just leaves me dumbfounded. In this scenario you assault fortified allies positions whit a platoon of mountaineers and a handful of heavy weapons, and one infantry gun. now matter how many times I try this scenario I seem to fail miserably.

So I come to you the veterans, for a few point on how to tackle this battle properly. any pointer will be appreciated.

Alrighty, I will take the bait. :D

First of all, I am no tactical genius. But I have been around a while playing CM.

SOILERS AND SPOILERS

I approached/entered the trenches far on my left flank. I did this in conjunction with a delayed arrival area barrage. Getting the barrage set up on the first orders opportunity is very useful. After that, you MUST have line of site if you have no TRP's. But then plan on your first few turns to move that platoon HQ in so it DOES have LOS to the barrage area. Makes it accurater. Is that a word? 

Split your squads up into 2 teams so they move in smaller groups. SPREAD OUT!! Yes sarge...

I moved the HMGs up center leftish and rightish for overwatch and used the sniper as the probe sacrificial iron cross recipient who crossed the creek stream and got some spots.

Make note of your delay when the barrage will arrive. 30 minute battle. I think my barrage said it needed 9 minutes to get going. Keep checking this and everybody has ear comms like a SEAL TEAM. 

Get your guys over there but not too close. Demo charge dudes are back a bit until needed. Slow crawl up but then let them catch their breath.

IT WORKED!

But the scoring is hosed I am sorry to say as I got 200 points for the bunkers but so did the US side? "What the fudge?" EDIT: No, I am wrong. The scoring is fine. I misread what I was looking at. I took too many casualties to get the total victory is what happened.

I will post some screenshats here in a bit.

279-in-prog.png

280-in-prog.png

281-in-prog.png

@Thatguy Thanks for asking about this as I had never even tried this scenario. It is my size scenario for sure.

Best wishes to you as you enjoy this great game.

Edited by kohlenklau

Another tip...

Since at this point you have tried the battle quite a few times as axis attacker. Maybe give it a try as "hotseat 2 players versus yourself". You can play the allied side as more or less static but on guard for the enemy approach. If you did want to try my approach, maybe try the right flank (you copy cat!). :D As allies, you can see the effectiveness of your axis barrage. You can see if your Germans are easy to spot as they make the approach to be ready to final assault the barbed wire and enter the trenches. It can be educational.

• 2 weeks later...

@Thatguy as with @kohlenklau thanks for highlighting this scenario, CM really shines at the Platoon level.

I tried it out & it seems I had a very similiar plan as @kohlenklau (even down to using the sniper team as a sacrificial scout)... however I kinda screwed up my bombardment by readjusting it when I shouldn't have. Also I went for a heavier overwatch element with several MG half squads working with the dedicated MG teams (I split off assault teams from all of my squads, this divides them into an MG element and an SMG+Grenade element). I also had my HQ unit much further forward helping to keep their morale up.

Ultimately several of the MG half squads got pulled into the trenches anyway, still the extra overwatch fire seems to have helped me complete the scenario with somewhat fewer casualties (although it was still quite bloody).

Here's the vid...

Edited by 37mm

• 2 months later...
On 8/4/2023 at 8:34 AM, 37mm said:

@Thatguy as with @kohlenklau thanks for highlighting this scenario, CM really shines at the Platoon level.

I tried it out & it seems I had a very similiar plan as @kohlenklau (even down to using the sniper team as a sacrificial scout)... however I kinda screwed up my bombardment by readjusting it when I shouldn't have. Also I went for a heavier overwatch element with several MG half squads working with the dedicated MG teams (I split off assault teams from all of my squads, this divides them into an MG element and an SMG+Grenade element). I also had my HQ unit much further forward helping to keep their morale up.

Ultimately several of the MG half squads got pulled into the trenches anyway, still the extra overwatch fire seems to have helped me complete the scenario with somewhat fewer casualties (although it was still quite bloody).

Here's the vid...

What sound mod are you using?