Units using too many demolition chareges per blast - bug or WAD?

I have noticed that if I use a small squad (like 3-4 men), the pioneers will use a single charge to execute the blast command. However if I use bigger squads they tend to use as many as 4 (!) for a single blast. This doesnt always happen and noticed it accross all of the titles.

The event that caused me to open this topic happened in a scenario of the Fleeting Moment campaign of Fortress Italy, where the Italian pioneers equipped with 14 charges used up 4 charges to open a single wall tile on a building..

Is this bug or WAD? If the latter, whats the mechanic behind it?

Thanks,

Edited by SDG

Noone? 😕 

blast-1.jpg

blast-2.jpg

As you can see the pioneers used up 3 charges for a single blast.

I have seen this behaviour in other titles too, and dont know why does it happen.

In this campaign this is particularly annoying as you dont get any resupply for during the missions.

Edited by SDG

Hi,

Thanks for posting this. I had never noticed before. I always thought it was 1 charge per blast command. 

For my selfish purposes I have a CMFI France 1940 mod and am using Brazilians pioneer squad. I like the squad because it is all rilfes and no SMG. But all those damn demo charges! I would have to use them up before they were their best for 1940. In my mind I had a long series of walls planned to use up the 6 DC's. But based on your thread topic I finally just now rigged up a test and they used 3 DC per blast and so I only needed 2 walls. hahaha. So good for my selfish purposes.

But it does not make sense. I am pretty sure I have never observed this before.

I think it depends on the structure you want to destroy. For example wooden or clay buildings take 1 or 2 charges, while heavy brick buildings use more. (up to 4)

Would be nice if the game somehow tells you roughly how many charges they would need. If the remaining charges are not enough, the breaching party just runs to the main entrance and often is then shot up. 

1 minute ago, Brille said:

Would be nice if the game somehow tells you roughly how many charges they would need.

Yeah. Better yet if the coder would just explain these intricacies. I don't need the code but I think the coder owes the purchaser some better explanations. Occasionally here in the forums we so get some often long winded hand wringing "Steve" explanation/lecture about LOS or flavor objects cover versus concealment. Maybe we need one about demo charges too.

I did a little testing in CMBN in the scenario  "Pleasantly Shaded Woodland". 

Using an 8 man regular Pioneer section with 6 charges against bocage expends 3 charges. 

Splitting the section yields two 4 man teams, one with 2 charges, the other with 4. Either only uses 1 charge against bocage.

3 hours ago, BamaMatt said:

I did a little testing in CMBN in the scenario  "Pleasantly Shaded Woodland". 

Using an 8 man regular Pioneer section with 6 charges against bocage expends 3 charges. 

Splitting the section yields two 4 man teams, one with 2 charges, the other with 4. Either only uses 1 charge against bocage.

That's crazy! It means that you are more efficient using teams than full squads to do the job? Really sounds like a bug!

I tested this now in CMBN and there is in fact a problem here.

A split of engineer team (with 4 charges available) will take one charge, while a full squad (8 charges available) will take 3 charges at the same building.

I could have sworn it was somewhat different back then but the last time I used those demo charges extensively is some time ago.

That´s really weird...

9 hours ago, Brille said:

I tested this now in CMBN and there is in fact a problem here.

A split of engineer team (with 4 charges available) will take one charge, while a full squad (8 charges available) will take 3 charges at the same building.

I could have sworn it was somewhat different back then but the last time I used those demo charges extensively is some time ago.

That´s really weird...

I quoted your post in the bug tracker thread.

Did a little testing in Shock Force 2. It gets a little weird.

Used a 6 man U.S. engineering squad with 6 demo charges. The full squad used 3 charges against a building. Down 3 charges, they use 2 for the next blast. They have no problem blasting with their final single charge.

If you split the squad, you wind up with two 3 man teams, one with 4 charges, the other with 2. Either 3 man team will use 1 charge.

If you split a squad, use 1 charge, then recombine, the full squad will use 2 charges next time.