First PBEM someone?

PEB14

10 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

The Bier truck was to confuse your soldiers. It had a lovely bell sound too and the driver had a blonde wig. Brandenbergers?

It worked beyond your expectations...

But, hmmm, well, ... what was the ultimate purpose to ring the bell and attract my troops' attention to the very field where you were dashing in the open, without mutual cover or overwatch of any kind? 😶

Oh, I got it: it was a preview of your brand new, forthcoming project: Combat Mission Banzai, Pactific War ! 😉

BREAKING NEWS !!

After seemingly pulling out in good order to his next defensive position, Oberst Kohl finally lost heart (probably thebier truck loss…) and surrendered with all his remaining troops!

Now that he is a POW, I managed to convince him to comment on this game…

captur31.png

For my part, I was surprised to discover the extent of @kohlenklau 's losses. And a good 1/3 of his remaining troops are either broken or about to surrender.

The casualties analysis show that the German artillery was unsurprisingly the main cause of my losses, with 21 casualties for a single observer (but maybe @kohlenklau used other HQ to direct fire as well). On my side, once again the 60 mm mortar teams were the more effective units, with 13 casualties for the best of the teams.

US artillery was poorly effective (5 confirmed kills, mainly the German AT gun; 6 other possible casualties). There even probably was friendly casualties because of my poor handling of artillery. My Stuart tanks only caused 1 casualty alltogether, but they were useful to flush the Germans out of some strategic, 2-story buildings, and pinning down enemies. My MMG proved particularly inefficient (I think they are not credited with a single kill). Very difficult to put them in good firing position.

These stats only underline the firepower of the US infantry at medium to short ranges. They did the job.

My choice to attack on a wide front, in order to exploit any weakness, and in order to bear a maximum of my weapons on the enemy proved efficient if not subtle 😕… I nevertheless shall have spared more infantry units as reserves, I probably would have incurred less losses through artillery.

I'm interested to read @kohlenklau's feedback. His use of artillery was deadly and drove me mad for the 20 first minutes; I cannot imagine it could have been better. His final counterattack was suicidal, but the fight was already lost for him at that time (even though I didn't know it), so I believe it didn't change anything. Did he may gather too many troops in the frontline, trying to fight a dynamic defense (fighting withdrawal) that failed? Maybe a more static, classical, in-depth defense would have been more effective (but certainly less funny to play!).

I don't know if many people played this White Manor scenario; it seems to favor the US attacker even though Theblitz rates it as well balanced.

By the way Phil, I don't know which version of the scenario you had us play, but it's not the latest one: I should have played with Sherman (including one rhino) instead of Stuarts, I should have had air support instead of the (useless) MMGs and the (useful) recon teams with their demo charges, and we both should have had less artillery. And more importantly the scenario length should have been only 55 minutes! (I never used rhinos nor air support, so I probably wouldn't have been able to use them effectively…)

Good game anyway, thanks a lot for playing.👍

I did not know there was a newer version. I think I initiated the PBEM and thus used the scenario I had and off we went...

My set-up was my usual on the fly best thoughts at the time.  I sprinkled the mines around individually to cause some mischief versus a belted pattern. I did spot a few mine bursts.

The TRP's I made a network around the map to allow linear missions as best as possible in all areas. I had the FO in the White manor and the Kompanie-Fuhrer in the town. I started each with a mission right away but at harrasment levels but with a delay. I think. I then adjusted fire as I spotted his troops. The mortars lasted all the way until I surrendered. hahaha

I was surprised that the White Manor didn't really offer such great LOS for an HMG42. It was wasted and there are no doors to exit out the front.

The other HMG42 died so quick for some reason. I should have used the church maybe. The church had the MG platoon HQ and another team from a squad. It held out quite a while.

I milked all the ammo out of the truck and the kubelwagen.

I was able to move the ATG after it blasted a Stuart. The crew were headed in an odd direction so I found a new spot but they had crap LOS. So I tried a new move to get the truck to take it but then the gun got blasted. Well, now only 1 guy was moving the gun all by himself! Then finally "Arnold" got hit and abandoned the gun.

Kamikaze right flank banzai charge. This was hopeless but I figured I would try. I had the truck go too. What a disaster.

It was a fun battle. I could have NOT surrendered and gone longer but maybe that is just a big waste of time.

OK, Pierre, now you can face the PBEM master Timmy-Tammy-Tony-Tabby @Vacillator

Edited by kohlenklau

2 hours ago, Vacillator said:

I don't think so Phil.  I've lost more than I've won I'm sure, and I've only been here for 3 years.  I am like a new born baby, soft and cute. 

good move. draw him in with that kind of talk. maybe make a small wager on the side before the battle starts.

1 minute ago, kohlenklau said:

make a small wager

Okay. 

If I win he pays for me to visit the Musee des Blindees, all travelling and subsistence included.  If I lose, I pay the entrance fee, maybe for both of us.

@PEB14 what do you think my friend?

I'm joking of course.  If you kicked Phil's butt I should probably avoid you 😬.

15 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

I sprinkled the mines around individually to cause some mischief versus a belted pattern. I did spot a few mine bursts.

Did you hear the curses as well?

15 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

Kamikaze right flank banzai charge. This was hopeless but I figured I would try. I had the truck go too. What a disaster.

The truck was the perfect warning (sound contact). Thanks fo the bell.

13 hours ago, Vacillator said:

Did they use CAN (canister)?  That can (no pun intended) be a very scary thing...

No. It looks like the tanks only use canister when they have a clear contact on enemy infantry or softskins. I never did and fired either on tentative contacts or on strategic location. Fausts and Schrecks prevented me to get close enough.

10 hours ago, Vacillator said:

Okay. 

If I win he pays for me to visit the Musee des Blindees, all travelling and subsistence included.  If I lose, I pay the entrance fee, maybe for both of us.

@PEB14 what do you think my friend?

I can draw but only one conclusion: it looks like you're Scottish, not English! 😆

I'm joking of course. 😶

10 hours ago, Vacillator said:

I'm joking of course.  If you kicked Phil's butt I should probably avoid you 😬.

I guess that frightening a potential enemy might be a could strategy ! 😁

Anyway I don't feel I did anything extraordinary... I "text-book" played (pin down, overwatch, etc.), and I got punished each time I failed to do so!

And I was playing in my comfort zone: US infantry in CMBN is what I played the most - and it is probably the easier side to play in CM WW2 games.

In the meantime I've started another CMBN game against Stefano from FGM, as the British defender fighting against German Tiger and Panther. Even though the game is played at very slow pace (only 10 minutes or so have been played right now), I already regret my game against Phil...😪

AND he wanted to have played the scenario version where he had the Sherman and P-47's.  oooo la la

Count De Money. "DE MONET!"

I had to trade them against MMGs and Stuarts. Kohlen-crook-klau you are! 😁

Pierre is of a similar vintage as we are. Maybe a bit less dust on the bottle.

As for RL vintage, unfortunately, I'm on the same side of the hill as you are... But CM-wise no dust on my bottle at all (well, a small bit since Phil bite it... 😉).

@PEB14 He just did all that Tony Tony Tim  stuff to MAKE you think he is old and feeble. Draw you in and then whammo.

OK. Tim* @Vacillator, you've got the choice of weapons as long as it is CMBN, CMFI or CMRT (I don't own any other, anyway...).

Only restriction: let's play a scenario none of us has played...

I can start anytime!

* I proofread this message 10 times, just to be sure... 🤪

33 minutes ago, PEB14 said:

* I proofread this message 10 times, just to be sure... 🤪

😂

Well Pierre (I think?) let me look for a battle for us. 

I'm currently well spread, playing a PBEM in each of CMBN, CMRT, CMFB and CMFI (with varying degrees of expectation 😉).

If you want to PM me with your email address I'll set up a dropbox as a start.

28 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

😂

Well Pierre (I think?) let me look for a battle for us. 

I'm currently well spread, playing a PBEM in each of CMBN, CMRT, CMFB and CMFI (with varying degrees of expectation 😉).

If you want to PM me with your email address I'll set up a dropbox as a start.

I can wait. Once you're done with one of your current PBEM let me know.

20 hours ago, PEB14 said:

I don't know if many people played this White Manor scenario; it seems to favor the US attacker even though Theblitz rates it as well balanced.

By the way Phil, I don't know which version of the scenario you had us play, but it's not the latest one: I should have played with Sherman (including one rhino) instead of Stuarts, I should have had air support instead of the (useless) MMGs and the (useful) recon teams with their demo charges, and we both should have had less artillery.

White Manor is one of my favourite PBEM scenarios. I played it three times and won crushing victories as the German defenders each time. Which led me to conclude that the scenario must be imbalanced.

At least in the original version, because the Germans have quite a lot of forces, and the defensive terrain is nearly perfect. However, I think it is possible to win as the Americans, but the US player needs to play his cards just right.

It's correct that in the original version, the US player has Shermans, not Stuarts, and he also has air support. He doesn't have TRPs though if I remember correctly. So it seems you were playing some kind of modified version. Still congratulations on beating Kohlenklau. He's an old hand in this game, so a scalp worth taking.

Edited by Bulletpoint

39 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

White Manor is one of my favourite PBEM scenarios. I played it three times and won crushing victories as the German defenders each time. Which led me to conclude that the scenario must be imbalanced.

Funny that, as victors, we both reached opposite conclusions!

40 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

t's correct that in the original version, the US player has Shermans, not Stuarts, and he also has air support. He doesn't have TRPs though if I remember correctly.

Based on the information provided at the repository, it looks like the original version is the one Phil and I played (which has TRPs only for the German side). The Sherman version is the one that can be downloaded right now at the FGM. In this version, the main advantage for the German side is the much shorter time allowed for the US side to win.

40 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Still congratulations on beating Kohlenklau. He's an old hand in this game, so a scalp worth taking.

Thank you! I was preparing for a crushing defeat, so the victory is as much enjoyable as it was unexpected! ✌️

1 hour ago, PEB14 said:

Based on the information provided at the repository, it looks like the original version is the one Phil and I played (which has TRPs only for the German side). The Sherman version is the one that can be downloaded right now at the FGM. In this version, the main advantage for the German side is the much shorter time allowed for the US side to win.

Going from memory, the version I played gave the Germans two platoons of infantry with Panzerschrecks, 2x75mm AT guns, 2x StuG, 2x 81mm mortars, 2x81 mortars off-map, and some scouts with MP40.

The Yanks get 15 Shermans which seems like a lot, but they are very restricted by the terrain. Two Shermans have Rhino attachment.

Can't remember how long time the US side gets to win, but they have to get pretty deep into the map to reach the White Manor, and there are many opportunites for the defender to do all kinds of defensive tricks.