When does everyone end their PBEM games?

Me and the person I play PBEM's generally end the game once victory us practically assured for one side or the other. This can make it feel like a buzz kill for the winning side but also gets us to the next game faster. 

What's the etiquette for you? Play to the last man? Or somewhere in between?

Depends on the battle / opponent imo. Often there is little interest/point to continue the game when the outcome is clear. Other times the writing on the wall is clear but there are still enough options for both players to enjoy it seeing it through to the end.

Agreed it depends on context. Some tournaments frown on cease firing other opponents it's pretty normal. Personally, when I'm playing some one new or have not really discussed things with a recurring opponent, once I get to the place where I'm toast I set the cease fire and tell them I have done so and let them know they can end the game when every the feel like they have accomplished enough.

2 hours ago, IanL said:

Agreed it depends on context. Some tournaments frown on cease firing other opponents it's pretty normal. Personally, when I'm playing some one new or have not really discussed things with a recurring opponent, once I get to the place where I'm toast I set the cease fire and tell them I have done so and let them know they can end the game when every the feel like they have accomplished enough.

That's a good idea. Have you ever been stuck with another 30 turns waiting for your opponent to finish the job?

Well most of the time my pbem end with a cease fire. When I'm on the loosing side I let my opponent know that I'm ready to negotiate but he is free to go for his desired objectives as long as he wants. 

Even when I'm on the winning side I sometimes offer my opponent a cease fire if he hasn't done so before me. If I see that I'll be the clear winner of that match I see no point in annihilate him to the last pixel trooper. 

But what I don't do (or at least very rarely) is surrender, since it distort the outcome of the game entirely. 

And by the way the game can sometimes turn very easily by some simple mistakes. :D

Edited by Brille

10 hours ago, Brille said:

Well most of the time my pbem end with a cease fire. When I'm on the loosing side I let my opponent know that I'm ready to negotiate but he is free to go for his desired objectives as long as he wants. 

Even when I'm on the winning side I sometimes offer my opponent a cease fire if he hasn't done so before me. If I see that I'll be the clear winner of that match I see no point in annihilate him to the last pixel trooper. 

But what I don't do (or at least very rarely) is surrender, since it distort the outcome of the game entirely. 

And by the way the game can sometimes turn very easily by some simple mistakes. :D

I appreciate that we have both options. As long as both players are in the same page I would rather let my opponent surrender if they are tired of the game. 10 turns can be a week or more if you're busy and it's probably more fun to move on to the next game instead.

On 3/24/2023 at 3:36 PM, IanL said:

100 percent. Exceptions are when I have only a few soldiers left or no one left at all 🙂

Yeah If get trashed (obviously never happens 😉 ) and it's obvious my opponent can remove my forces from the map without me being able to do much about it, I'll gladly surrender.

• 5 months later...

I think it's very situational.

I just surrendered to my opponent in my last CMRT game because I had absolutely no fun playing the game. I certainly still had a chance to win, but I just felt completely disheartened by the poor scenario design.

On the other end, I'll play my current CMBN to the end even though I obviously have lost. I know my opponent enjoys the game very much and while the scenario is not very well balanced, it's still not a pain to play.

In the CMRT game before I surrendered only after my last unit got smashed…