Canister (aka shrapnel) rounds for T34/85 guns?

After my opponent @Ultradave's T34/85s began shredding some of my poor German infantry with canister last night in @benpark's great scenario Rumble at Reitwein, I'm just wondering whether anyone can clarify the historical used of canister rounds in the T34/85?

I was recently discussing canister for T34/76s with @kohlenklau and found this old thread, which has info on the 76mm round, but it seemed the jury was out on whether there was an 85mm version:

I've searched elsewhere but not come to a conclusion, so any help or knowledge is appreciated.

Okay, so with no takers on my question I looked through the above thread a bit more.

One of the linked sources is definite that T34/85s did not have canister / shrapnel rounds (scroll to near the bottom for ammo loadouts):

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/rkkaww2/weapons/art_tanks.htm

If we believe that, then perhaps my question becomes "why do T34/85s in CM2 have canister rounds?"

Perhaps a deliberate choice based on better information, or perhaps a case of "well the T34/76 has canister so we'll keep the capability for the T34/85"?

I don't think I'm expecting an answer to that, but not sure if I should report it as a possible anomaly.

Edited by Vacillator

25 minutes ago, Chibot Mk IX said:

None of the T-34/85 has CAN. 

That's odd, as @Ultradave's T34/85s in Rumble at Reitwein have just been firing canister at my boys.  Can you confirm that Dave, I don't want to go delving into your unit list to check 😉?

In the meantime I'll load up the editor and find myself a few T34/85s.

42 minutes ago, Chibot Mk IX said:

None of the T-34/85 has CAN.

Hmmm, after a quick look in the editor (a new battle not Reitwein) I agree that that seems to be the case.  I need to load up the saves and have another look, there were the usual scary spread shotgun graphics from several tanks.  I'll check.

None on my tanks that I can see. I must say I missed the shotgun blasts. I know what they look like from Stuart's. 

Every tank is armed with a mix of HE and AP, with a couple of them having just a few rounds of APCR (APDS or Sabot to us non-Russians).

I do have a hefty number of MG teams, and the tanks have been making liberal use of theirs, what with all those ersatz soldiers running around. But the canister animation is pretty distinctive.

Dave

Okay, I have to apologise to all concerned and congratulate @Chibot Mk IX.  You are totally correct.

Here's what I saw (from a slightly different angle):

uaEYJPQ.png

Note the selected T34/85 in the background.  But as you can see, it was not he who fired the scary blast.  Next turn an OT-34 appeared next to the T34/85, and he was the real culprit.

And Dave, I'm just loading up the current turn, with you shortly 😉.

Edited by Vacillator