Win 10 updates breaks all games

Erwin

Here is a puzzler:  I got back from a foreign trip with my Win 10 laptop that is easily powerful enuff to run all the CM2 games.  But, for some reason it suddenly was very, very slow to startup and if I started the Win 7 shell it froze and I had to use Task Manager to reboot.  (In TM nothing was running more than "very low".)

Gave it to tech who updated everything and made it start up as fast as before  But, now none of the games will run (nor will the Win 7 shell).  I get error messages that it cannot run the resolution required by the games (something like 1368x768??).  This makes no sense to me as I used to run the games at much higher res. 

Am worried that the MS updates have messed everything up.  

Any ideas...?  

Yes, the error message I get:  "Could not initialize graphics display. REQUIRED: 1024 x 768, 32-bit color."' is exactly what I see.

But for some reason I cannot access the BF knowledge base that covers this item:  This Knowledgebase article on 'Error message: "Could not initialize graphics display. REQUIRED: 1024 x 768, 32-bit color."' will tell you of using the 'Compatibility' settings in Windows to address this problem.

Edited by Erwin

11 hours ago, Erwin said:

Yes, the error message I get:  "Could not initialize graphics display. REQUIRED: 1024 x 768, 32-bit color."' is exactly what I see.

But for some reason I cannot access the BF knowledge base that covers this item:  This Knowledgebase article on 'Error message: "Could not initialize graphics display. REQUIRED: 1024 x 768, 32-bit color."' will tell you of using the 'Compatibility' settings in Windows to address this problem.

Error message: "Could not initialize graphics display. REQUIRED: 1024 x 768, 32-bit color."

Problem: When you launch CMBN you get an error message of "Could not initialize graphics display. REQUIRED: 1024 x 768, 32-bit color."

Solution: Right-click on the launching shortcut for CMBN and select "Properties" from the popup menu. In here go to the "Compatibility" tab and there will be a section in the middle of the tab labeled "Settings". At the bottom of of this section checkmark the box next to the text that says "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". Click 'Apply' and then 'OK'. Hopefully this should now allow the game to run.