"Bad" download of CM "Commonwealth" and Soviet games

I had a bad computer crash due to a power surge, which seems to happen to me every 3-4 years due to our crazy weather and 3rd World electrical system (and in spite of having full battery backups etc.). Long story short I have a new PC now, and I wanted to re-install CM. I got into your website and found the 5 orders I'd made over the years. I managed to download and install CMFB successfully, but all the others give me what Windows says is a bad zip file. On decompressing it tells me that CRC failed on multiple files (for example Setup-1f,g,k,l,p and q), and then in the end I get an error message saying "Some installation files are corrupt. Please download a fresh copy and retry the installation."

I downloaded again and a gain and get the same result.

This is running a PC with Windows 11

Anyone know what this is and how to fix it?

Edited by GoodSoldierSchweik
Adding something

29 minutes ago, GoodSoldierSchweik said:

I had a bad computer crash due to a power surge, which seems to happen to me every 3-4 years due to our crazy weather and 3rd World electrical system (and in spite of having full battery backups etc.). Long story short I have a new PC now, and I wanted to re-install CM. I got into your website and found the 5 orders I'd made over the years. I managed to download and install CMFB successfully, but all the others give me what Windows says is a bad zip file. On decompressing it tells me that CRC failed on multiple files (for example Setup-1f,g,k,l,p and q), and then in the end I get an error message saying "Some installation files are corrupt. Please download a fresh copy and retry the installation."

I downloaded again and a gain and get the same result.

This is running a PC with Windows 11

Anyone know what this is and how to fix it?

Try using a different program to extract the downloads. I use a free one called Bandizip and it works like a charm but using any different program should fix you up.

When re-installing, anything that you have that uses Game Engine 4 is an all-in-one full game installer and does not need a step by step installation. Keep that in mind when installing. Depending on what you owe it may save you lots of time.

What the heck, stop playing with the forum graphics! :rolleyes:

@GoodSoldierSchweik Are your downloads being interrupted at all? I hate slow downloads for this reason. One hiccup and the whole file can be corrupted. 

As Elvis says, try a different zip program, but I doubt this will be the issue if CMFB worked already. I recommend 7-Zip, been using it for 15 years. 

The CMFB says version 2.03 "Game Engine 4" in the lower right corner.

I remember going through some kind of tricky upgrades last time, not sure if this is current

(But I don't think this has anything to do with the initial decompression of files during installation...?)

33 minutes ago, GoodSoldierSchweik said:

The CMFB says version 2.03 "Game Engine 4" in the lower right corner.

I remember going through some kind of tricky upgrades last time, not sure if this is current

(But I don't think this has anything to do with the initial decompression of files during installation...?)

No more tricks with the upgrades. I have never had any issues. So long as you download your latest purchases then you'll have the latest patch. 

for instance if you bought game engine 4 separate just download from that link instead of downloading the game with engine 3 first. You can always download the game and patch separate, but thats a hassle that we were trying to avoid. 

When I get home I'll check to see how my installations came. If you are getting an error from an exe then the download probably got interrupted at some point. I remember some users saying bfc's downloads were on the slower side so it could be possible. I havent downloaded anything since cmcw dropped so I dont remember. 

1 hour ago, Artkin said:

No more tricks with the upgrades. I have never had any issues. So long as you download your latest purchases then you'll have the latest patch. 

for instance if you bought game engine 4 separate just download from that link instead of downloading the game with engine 3 first. You can always download the game and patch separate, but thats a hassle that we were trying to avoid. 

When I get home I'll check to see how my installations came. If you are getting an error from an exe then the download probably got interrupted at some point. I remember some users saying bfc's downloads were on the slower side so it could be possible. I havent downloaded anything since cmcw dropped so I dont remember. 

Ok thanks and good to know, I'll try again a few times. If anything else occurs to you let me know. I'm craving to play a particular scenario which I think is in the commonwealth module.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you purchase the 3.0 and possibly 4.0 Upgrades at any time in the past ? If so, then you DO NOT need the Commonwealth and Market Garden installers. That content is already included in the 3.0 and 4.0 Upgrade installers which are considered 'all-in-one'. The only thing you need to do after installing the 'all-in-one' installer is to activate the appropriate license keys (if they have never been activated on this installation of Windows). If you have the 4.0 Upgrade and all of the Modules and Packs, then you only need to activate the following license keys:

3.0 Upgrade

4.0 Upgrade

Commonwealth Module

Market Garden Module

Vehicle Pack

Battle Pack

7 minutes ago, GoodSoldierSchweik said:

I did, and this is how I got the D-Day module installed, but it didn't bring in the commonwealth stuff. In spite of downloading it 20 times, the CW file is always bad, there is one bad file in it. It starts to install but fails.

I'm not sure that you understand what Ian and I have been saying. Because we weren't sure I just used your email address to find your account and see what you have. I see that you own the 3.0/4.0 Upgrade Bundle. That is the ONLY  thing that you need to download and install. If you install anything else you will ruin your installation. If you installed that and then used your Commonwealth/Market Garden download link then you overwrote your 4.0 installation and turned it into a 2.0 version. 

You will need to use your 3.0/4.0 Upgrade link again and reinstall it. (actually, just installing the 4.03 patch will probably do the trick https://battlefront.sharefile.com/share/view/s195253a8ef9c4a91b5ab36f9bf3499f4/fo4e72e0-a1b7-4d2d-90e6-bd339ae01890) Then, use the Activate New Products utility and enter all of the keys that Schrullenhaft listed.

Both my first reply and his told you everything that you needed to know to get this up and running. Please take the time to read them. Your comments seem to indicate that you didn't. Otherwise you would never have tried downloading and installing the Commonwealth module. Also, never download and try to install somefink 20 times. The only thing that is likely to do is frustrate you and waste your time. The download for the 3.0/4.0 Upgrade is an all-in-one full game installer that installs the base game and every module, Pack, patch and Upgrade in a single download file.

Ok bruv, do I need to uninstall what is currently installed on my machine before reinstalling?

For the record, I thought this 'install the update' was a matter of convenience, I didn't realize it was the only recommended way to install, or that a 'piecemeal' installation would roll back to earlier versions. Neither of those points were clear to me from previous posts, which I definitely did in fact read. And the reason I downloaded CW multiple times is that someone in this thread suggested that the problem may be a bad download.

That said, I did already install the 4.0 upgrade successfully already, it just only showed limited modules. So based on what you said, I'm wondering if all I need to do is just run the activation utility a few times?

10 minutes ago, GoodSoldierSchweik said:

Ok bruv, do I need to uninstall what is currently installed on my machine before reinstalling?

For the record, I thought this 'install the update' was a matter of convenience, I didn't realize it was the only recommended way to install, or that a 'piecemeal' installation would roll back to earlier versions. Neither of those points were not clear to me from previous posts, which I definitely did in fact read. And the reason I downloaded CW multiple times is that someone in this thread suggested that the problem may be a bad download.

That said, I did already install the 4.0 upgrade successfully already, it just only showed limited modules. So based on what you said, I'm wondering if all I need to do is just run the activation utility a few times?

On 9/2/2022 at 12:57 PM, BFCElvis said:

When re-installing, anything that you have that uses Game Engine 4 is an all-in-one full game installer and does not need a step by step installation. 

You do not need to uninstall what you have. Yes, use the Activate New Products utility in the game's main directory and your:

3.0/40 Key

Commonwealth/Market Garden key

I checked your keys and they are both valid with available activations. You should only have to run the Activate New Products utility twice. Once for the 3.0/4.0 key and once for the Commonwealth/Market Garden key. Your purchase history did not show any of the Packs.