AI rotating vehicles without spotting contacts

My experience after many years of playing is that the tactical AI allows units to "see/detect" enemy units that the player cannot see and react.  The phenomenon you describe is not that uncommon.  It's akin to the LOS phenomenon where a unit can see a pixel-wide gap through many dozens of dense woods - totally impossible for the player to see - and shoot and kill an enemy unit.

I recognise the general issue, but in this video, it does seem to me like the Challenger has an enemy armour contact marker at its 10 o'clock position, and it turns to face that, even though there are buildings in between.

The enemy tank continues flanking around and appears at the end of the video.

32 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

I recognise the general issue, but in this video, it does seem to me like the Challenger has an enemy armour contact marker at its 10 o'clock position, and it turns to face that, even though there are buildings in between.

The enemy tank continues flanking around and appears at the end of the video.

the 10 oclock contacts were 4 other burning vehicles. 

9 hours ago, Artkin said:

the 10 oclock contacts were 4 other burning vehicles. 

CM has an issue with not updating the graphical location of contact markers as tanks move.

So what I think is happening in your case is that the flanking tank was spotted by the infantry in the buildings, and then this info was passed along to your tank in close proximity. Your tank then reacted by turning towards the point where the enemy tank was when its location was shared.

Agree with Bulletpoint. When vehicles turn on their own without having a spot on something it usually means they have been given FOW contact info through the C2 chain, and are reacting to that. From the video the tank looks like it had info the enemy tank was coming around on its flank, and it was reacting to that.

Edited by Vinnart

Some other important factors. 

the tanker and the two IFV attackers are all fanatic conscripts.   I was fast moving them up in concert from different angles because all my tanks are dead and this was my last chance to try and gang up and Swiss cheese this challenger with the auto-cannons. It’s a timed attack and The point was to get a flank shot on one side or the other. 

it’s a no win scenario for a tanker. I’m sure the conscripts were baffled. 

Edited by ALBY

FWIW have seen many situations where there is no indication of an enemy unit, so nothing to go thru the C2 system, and a tank will rotate to face a particular direction - revealing that there is a so-far unseen enemy unit in that direction.  Was playing a H2H game recently and my oppo was complaining bitterly about this sort of thing as his turretless TD's were rotating to face something unseen which made them vulnerable to getting hit in the flank by something else that the unit did not see.