Infantry Battle School / Tactical Advice AAR Suggestion

I primarily play Combat Mission in order to build up my knowledge and practical implementation of tactics. It's a sandbox unparalleled in this way in my opinion.

What I struggle with is taking the superb advice from @Bil Hardenbergerin his blog and @Combatintman's planning thread, @Hapless's videos or @domfluff 's helpful tips, and applying it to my own play. I find it very easy to read and understand the principles, but when I sit and look at the map I still find myself with difficulties setting out and then following through with a plan. I guess i'm more of a visual learner.

I wanted to scope out the interest in my setting out a game, either a SP game or a PBEM game against an experienced player, and using it as a basis for talking through my approach to the game. A little bit like a tactical decision game you might look at from an old army journal. I would set out what I think I should do, others could comment and improve my suggestions, and then we could see how it plays out. An exercise in group think if you please.

Obviously this would mainly benefit me at the expense of some hard earned time from others which I would be extremely grateful for, but perhaps it would help others and be a resource for other people in the future. It could always be the basis of a video AAR if there was any interest too.

I can't promise a turn a day, I have a 6 week old son who is determined to limit my PC time currently 😁 but it's something I'm keen to do if there are any willing CM Rommels to get involved.  

22 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Kind of like a scripted scenario to be used as a demonstrator? Sure I'll lend my time.

Tell me how to die, sir. 

Jokes aside PM sent. 

Yes very much like that but not necessarily scripted. Similarly to the AAR threads that Bil etc do whereby the opponent doesn't go into that thread, this would be the same except rather than someone showcasing how good they are, I would set out my thoughts and people could chip in with corrections / advice on the best way to proceed vs my plan if that makes sense?

1 hour ago, Flibby said:

I primarily play Combat Mission in order to build up my knowledge and practical implementation of tactics. It's a sandbox unparalleled in this way in my opinion.

What I struggle with is taking the superb advice from @Bil Hardenbergerin his blog and @Combatintman's planning thread, @Hapless's videos or @domfluff 's helpful tips, and applying it to my own play. I find it very easy to read and understand the principles, but when I sit and look at the map I still find myself with difficulties setting out and then following through with a plan. I guess i'm more of a visual learner.

I wanted to scope out the interest in my setting out a game, either a SP game or a PBEM game against an experienced player, and using it as a basis for talking through my approach to the game. A little bit like a tactical decision game you might look at from an old army journal. I would set out what I think I should do, others could comment and improve my suggestions, and then we could see how it plays out. An exercise in group think if you please.

Obviously this would mainly benefit me at the expense of some hard earned time from others which I would be extremely grateful for, but perhaps it would help others and be a resource for other people in the future. It could always be the basis of a video AAR if there was any interest too.

I can't promise a turn a day, I have a 6 week old son who is determined to limit my PC time currently 😁 but it's something I'm keen to do if there are any willing CM Rommels to get involved.  

Don’t have time to participate in the actual game, but I would be happy to jump in your thread and give some words of wisdom when I can. 

This is a great idea.

Bil

1 hour ago, Flibby said:

Yes very much like that but not necessarily scripted. Similarly to the AAR threads that Bil etc do whereby the opponent doesn't go into that thread, this would be the same except rather than someone showcasing how good they are, I would set out my thoughts and people could chip in with corrections / advice on the best way to proceed vs my plan if that makes sense?

I *also (Bil beat me to it)* think this is a great idea, will look out for it.  Also I have played and lost to Artkin, so the best of luck 😉.

Edited by Vacillator

9 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

I *also (Bil beat me to it)* think this is a great idea, will look out for it.  Also I have played and lost to Artkin, so the best of luck 😉.

That was just an odd scenario. If it was triple the size and clear visibility then things would have played out very differently!