On-map arty support

Still new to CM but getting more comfortable with the user interface. That said, there's a problem that I'm just not getting. Playing 2nd Battle of Chaumont as the US. German infantry has worked its way into the outskirts of Chaumont. So I have a platoon leader with a LOS to a group of German infantry (he is overall ok) and I bring up my deployed 60mm on-map mortars. They're all shown as deployed and available. I shift-click to select all of them only to discover that no matter which targeting option I request, I'm informed that that platoon leader spotter has NO LOS to the that group of German infantry!  If I select just one available mortar I get the same result. What am I missing here??

2 hours ago, kb6583 said:

If I select just one available mortar I get the same result. What am I missing here??

Possibly the mortar doesn't have a LOF although the spotter (your platoon HQ) has a LOS or the mortar doesn't have C2 communication by radio. TBH the 60 mm mortar when it is on the map is best employed in the direct fire mode from a good defilade position in view of the munitions available thirty shells are not much. The indirect fire mode is very abstract in the game. HQs doesn't need a radio to call indirect fire?? I wonder how that works too. The receiver in your case of the 60 mm mortar needs it. I know US HQs all have radio but there may be some exceptions.

Edited by chuckdyke

artillery.jpg

I think your mortar possibly doesn't have a LOF. Also, he has only 20 shells you would waste too much ammo.

artilleryb.jpg

Suggested defilade position.

artilleryc.jpg

You can hit most of the German positions. With 20 rounds proper indirect fire is not really an option.

Watch the ridge if I were the enemy, I would have an observer near the shrub of the tree line.

Edited by chuckdyke

20 hours ago, kb6583 said:

Still new to CM but getting more comfortable with the user interface. That said, there's a problem that I'm just not getting. Playing 2nd Battle of Chaumont as the US. German infantry has worked its way into the outskirts of Chaumont. So I have a platoon leader with a LOS to a group of German infantry (he is overall ok) and I bring up my deployed 60mm on-map mortars. They're all shown as deployed and available. I shift-click to select all of them only to discover that no matter which targeting option I request, I'm informed that that platoon leader spotter has NO LOS to the that group of German infantry!  If I select just one available mortar I get the same result. What am I missing here??

If I understand your situation correctly you want to go through the indirect fire artillery dialog. Not the mortar unit's own menus.