BS changes to reflect 2022

Love BS but i never really played it until now. What i am playing though seems very much different from reality. This is not Battlefront's fault as we all bought into the fiction Russian juggernaut competancy. weapon systems are mostly accurate (save a few items that were theoretical and were not fielded) but the level of Russian competency is so over-rated. I would love to see a 2022 update but To make this closer to reality, some things would need to change. I just finished 'Shield Of Kiev' campaign and I got shallacked my first run through of the final battle. Went back and looked at some of the turns and the Russians perform extraordinarily. Wiping out 5 of 6 russian squad members and just rattled, almost always sighting before I did, arty that was so accurate, my squads were torn apart if I stayed in place for more then 5 minutes. What we need to quick battles to allow for greater accuracy of this situation 

- pull down menu for supply (depleted, adequate, full, over supply) so you get get less ammo if depleted as example

- pull down menu for general morale

- pull down menu for squad strength depleted 50-60%, average 70-90%, full 100% - it seems like Russians and UA are never full strength

- pull down for vehicle condition (to represent units that have taken some damage (maybe tires are degraded or someone has sold off your thermal imager)

- if immobilized, regular, green or conscript crews will abandon vehicles (even if bogged)

- Russian squads are always rattled/nervous if not in contact with CiC

- default would always be full but at least you could represent some of these current conditions

Black Sea is a 2015 game based on a fictional Russo-Ukraine war in 2017, not a new release based on the 2022 war. The Russian forces were idealised, sure, but that doesn't make their portrayal in the game wrong.

If you want to make something which you think matches the current state of Russian forces, you can always turn down their soft stats in the scenario editor.

Edited by Grey_Fox

Grey Fox, yes,  i know it is from 2015 showing a possible 2017 war but allowing more variability in quick battles would.allow us to portary the current situation. Russia would not have been any better then but having some pull down menus to allow this variability would not force us to treat Russia as supermen. If you want Russia to be near-peer ok, if not ok.

And I dont think you can reduce men per squad or ammo levels in quick battle. It would be a nice variable. 

Many of the points you mentioned in your initial post are selected via drop down menus in quick battle. What you have to due is set the force selection to "human."

But induvial squad strength and supply variables are only accessible through the scenario editor. 

Thanks - I will look again but I never have seen squad and supply variables. It would be nice to have them as choices in quick battles as well. That and setting the distribution between infantry/vehicles like they used to have in CMx1. Now when I quick pick mixed, it is almost always 100% tanks. 

• 3 weeks later...

"I don't agree with you. But the difference of opinion will probably remain academic. "  Field Marshall Von Runstedt  to Rommel  in the movie "The Desert Fox" starring James Mason as Rommel.  Anyway, I am breaking from my custom of only buying WW2 based CM games.  As a Ukrainian or Russian field commander might have said in recent years: "Gentlemen, in today's training we will simulate a hypothetical invasion of Ukraine by the Russian Army"  Well since this is now  real war I am going to purchase "CM Black Sea" because it is somehow more interesting now.

I never really played modern either until this turned into a real war even though I own them all.

CMRT was my goto as it has so many possibilities and i cannot wait until CMBN with the new expansion/pack gets published.

It would just be nice to allow more variability in quick battles like they used to have in CMBB. Variable ammo loads, variable troop levels per squad, allow for % of tanks, troops, arty, and set morale and experience levels all within the quick battle screens. 

Edited by Canada Guy