Question: After Action Reports don't match the actual action (regarding objectives)

Hello there,

I am only getting into Combat Mission so bear with me. Recently, I have played one scenario and one campaign mission, both had a lot of touch and hold objectives. Both battles ended prematurely in my favor but both times I met fierce resistance and lost a lot of troops. And to make things worse, I still only managed to occupy/touch half of the objectives.

All the more surprised was I when both AARs told me that I had completed all objectives which resulted in a tacitcal victory and in the scenarios that went even worse even in a major victory. That felt somehow very wrong, and I felt a bit cheated. In no way was the title "major victory" justified.

So how comes it that failing to meet ground objectives still ends up being counted as having completed them all?

SPOILER alert: I will show AARs and the map without the fog of war. So if you still have to play the respective missions, be warned!

Pictures of the first mission of the vanilla US campaign of Black Sea:

CMBS US campaign Task Force Thunder Mission 1 AAR [imgur]

Pictures of the scenarios "Grieshof Meet and Greet" of Cold War:

CMCW Grieshof Meet and Greet AAR [imgur]

Edited by Sunbather

39 minutes ago, WimO said:

It means that your opponent was annihilated or completely demoralized and left the field to you.  All of the objectives are yours by default.

20 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

The images of your AARs appear to back this 👆 up as your opponents surrendered.

Thank you two for your fast response!

I've already guessed that the battle ended because of the enemy surrendering. And considering the mission in the US campaign, I can understand that.

But if you look closely at the map of the Griesenhof scenario, you will see that there are plenty of troops left on the US side and they are firmly holding two objectives and even killed a rather high number of my troops while I was trying to gain a foothold on the Gravel objective. At the same time, I wasn't gaining a single meter with my own troops. Certainly a strange time to surrender, isn't it?

19 minutes ago, Sunbather said:

Thank you two for your fast response!

I've already guessed that the battle ended because of the enemy surrendering. And considering the mission in the US campaign, I can understand that.

But if you look closely at the map of the Griesenhof scenario, you will see that there are plenty of troops left on the US side and they are firmly holding two objectives and even killed a rather high number of my troops while I was trying to gain a foothold on the Gravel objective. At the same time, I wasn't gaining a single meter with my own troops. Certainly a strange time to surrender, isn't it?

Indeed but the AI throws the towel in once it sustains in the region of 65% casualties regardless of how many objectives it is sat on or how many casualties it has inflicted on the player.

15 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Indeed but the AI throws the towel in once it sustains in the region of 65% casualties regardless of how many objectives it is sat on or how many casualties it has inflicted on the player.

Unless the scenario designer opts to use the 'reinforcement trick'  😊 with an AI reinforcement group arriving after the scenario time ends.

Playing through a number of scenarios i'm sure you will see a mix of results...In some scenarios the AI will indeed surrender. In some they will not. Adds some nice uncertanty imo.

19 minutes ago, Glubokii Boy said:

Unless the scenario designer opts to use the 'reinforcement trick'  😊 with an AI reinforcement group arriving after the scenario time ends.

I did not know about the AI reinforcement trick. As a scenario designer myself, that is very helpful to know.  👍

20 minutes ago, WimO said:

I did not know about the AI reinforcement trick. As a scenario designer myself, that is very helpful to know.  👍

It's not mentioned in the manual as far as i know but it is one of the things that gets mentioned from time to time on these forums...It is indeed a useful trick. 😎

I felt peeved off. I thought I had taken the objective as the Red units surrendered. As there was no white flag the AI still regarded it as contested and occupied by Red Forces. Again, the AI surrendered the Red Forces with 10 minutes to play and robbed me of the opportunity for a Total Victory. I have not picked up Highland Games since then.