What's a good sound card for PC?

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

I have a Creative Labs Soundblaster AudioPCI 64V. It's pretty good, IMO. However, there hasn't been a new driver for it since sometime last July, I think. frown.gif Is there any benefit to go to at least one of those 128 cards?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. smile.gif

------------------

"Fear is the path to the Dark Side.

Fear leads to anger.

Anger leads to hate.

Hate leads to suffering."

--Jedi Master Yoda

[This message has been edited by Ol' Blood & Guts (edited 04-27-2000).]

Hey OBG;

I don't think you can go wrong with a Sound Blaster LIVE.

My SB16 is a total sucky card, but I have to save some money before I upgrade to the

SB LIVE. Its about $130.00 bucks.

Check out PRICEWATCH.COM for some good deals.

------------------

Better to make the wrong decision than be the sorry son of a bitch to scared to make one at all

Guest GriffinCheng

SoundBlanker Live! or Value. Look no others. However, I read about problems about EAX 3.0 with Pentium III.

Griffin @ work

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Thanks guys.

I've heard alot of mention about the SoundBlaster Live! Where can I go to do some research about it?

Or just what makes it a good card? Features? Sound quality? What?

------------------

Fear leads to anger.

Anger leads to hate.

--Jedi Master Yoda

I'd suggest a SB Live Value also. These are usually OEM models (i.e. - they don't come in a retail box to my knowledge).

If you do decide to purchase a SB Live, make sure that you're using LiveWare 3.0 or later (the driver package). Version 2.0 didn't make a number of sounds under the CM Beta (including gunfire, etc.).

Schrullenhaft,

Good suggestion. I need to go update my drivers anyways since I havn't done anything with them since I got the new system. Time to get ready for the Gold Demo and the actual CM release itself.

Mike D

aka Mikester

Hehe..

After installing my new SB Live card I fiddled a little with the sound controls at first but then started Mechwarrior 3.

I almost fell out of my seat from the blast coming out of my speakers! Just setting up the game had had me covering, every little button "click" sounded like a massive portal of steel slamming shut. And once in the game... phew...

In the end it turned out I had left the sound profile on "Hangar" and this turned out to produce a truly massive noise experience smile.gif

After getting a good sound card you will never look back, it’s like playing CM in software mode when compared to using good 3D hardware... A different world.

M.

Ive met a lot of fools in my time, one i remember was a total hardware nerd who had to have the best of everything inside the box so down he went to game and bought him a mental soundboard, 120 quid or so,

But he had totally crap speakers with no bass whatsoever, what a fool!!(he played with the speakers off so not to disturb anyone)

get thee a sb live value, good value (it might not sound like value but it is, really)

and unto that get thee a huge woofer and 4 floorstanding speakers in the 100 - 250 watt range, try a sound shop or somethin....

then connect your amp into them and plug in your axe and turn volume up full a few milliseconds of headbangin joy man, then you lose hearing for life...

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

What is a SB Live! Value?

The only versions I'm seeing at Creative's site are SB Live! Platinum, SB Live! X-Gamer, and SB Live! MP3+.

The only versions I see on Amazon.com are the X-Gamer and MP3+ deals. Both of which are only $99.99 US.

The Platinum is $199.99.

------------------

Fear leads to anger.

Anger leads to hate.

--Jedi Master Yoda

You may have to hunt a bit to find one - they were selling pretty heavy -

I bought mine here some time ago: http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/shop.asp

here is the direct page link

they don't have the value anymore they carry the SBL 1024

I've ordered that one too - It rocks as well smile.gif

http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/section.asp?dept%5Fid=118&sid=Q7JMAPRH35S92HSB080205RWQUEDFC1A

hope that helps - only$43 - this company is very reputable and I've ordered there several times

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader.......out