The Reckoning - Prit Buttar

kevinkin

Thanks. Looks like 500 pages of pure military history written very concisely.  I am reading the book to my wife as an example of how proper sentence structure works. Sort of surprised I found the book at Barnes and Noble. Just went into the store to kill a few minutes. The preface and intro are worth the price of the book. I have read on east front history for 40 years and Buttar's work is just remarkable. Ninety percent of what I am reading I have read before. But within that, there are a lot things I never thought about. 

On 11/11/2021 at 12:42 AM, Ithikial_AU said:

Sorry no I haven't but Prit Buttar's "Between Giants" was a key source of mine in building the Battle of Tukums campaign for the Fire and Rubble release. Was a good and easy to follow read. Keen to look at his other books when I get chance.

I agree, Between Giants was a great read, but Tony Le Tissier has a bunch of awesome books that cover the Soviet assault from April 1945 until the German surrender. These are [Race For The Reichstag] [Berlin The Battlefield Guide] [Slaughter At Halbe] [The Siege Of Kustrin 1945]. If anyone wants to get some good info into Zhukov and Koniev's final attack towards Berlin, you will find it all here. Some of these books have awesome maps along with great info on the TO&E for both the Germans and Soviets.

On 11/11/2021 at 8:31 AM, kevinkin said:

Thanks. Looks like 500 pages of pure military history written very concisely.  I am reading the book to my wife as an example of how proper sentence structure works. Sort of surprised I found the book at Barnes and Noble. Just went into the store to kill a few minutes. The preface and intro are worth the price of the book. I have read on east front history for 40 years and Buttar's work is just remarkable. Ninety percent of what I am reading I have read before. But within that, there are a lot things I never thought about. 

Bittar is good and solid. Nothing new, but a good overview, bases on good sources (books, that is). 

Edited by Aragorn2002