Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Blasting. What is worth blasting and what is not?

8 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

@Combatintman & I (plus @MOS:96B2P @sburke and several others) tested every square inch of a tiny but exceedingly intricate urban map, extracted from @LongLeftFlank's awesome Ramadi, to ensure proper routefinding.....The entire map was built in this way to encourage the player to selectively use 'mouse-holing' to avoid the deathtraps I'd left on the more obvious & easier routes (ie: the ones the TacAI would take if a dumb player used single leg movements on a map that's essentially a maze). 

That scenario sounds awesome! If I ever get out of WWII...

One in CMBN Linking Up and Breaking Out has a very nice set up to do a mini Stalingrad but unfortunately all the elevations vs buildings are messed up. This is where I discovered pretty much anything I wanted to do wouldn't work.

Sometimes side by side buildings each have their own wall ie having to  blast 2 walls to get through to the next building. Impossible AFAIK.

Edited by KGBoy

1 minute ago, KGBoy said:

Sometimes side by side buildings each have their own wall ie having to  blast 2 walls to get through to the next building. Impossible AFAIK.

Nope.

One charge does both.....It'll even do an intervening tall stone wall between the two building modules (ask me how I know).  ;)

I've never actually posted the CM:SF2 version of 'Ashsh Al Dababir', TBH I'm not sure if the CM:SF1 version is still out there either?  :unsure:

1 minute ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Nope.

One charge does both.....It'll even do an intervening tall stone wall between the two building modules (ask me how I know).  ;)

I've never actually posted the CM:SF2 version of 'Ashsh Al Dababir', TBH I'm not sure if the CM:SF1 version is still out there either?  :unsure:

LOL First I'll ask just to be sure: And the men move through the gap?

Now I'll ask: How and how many charges?

18 minutes ago, KGBoy said:

LOL First I'll ask just to be sure: And the men move through the gap?

In theory yes, but a large flavour object inside the building might still **** the routing up (yes, some of us place flavour objects (& more) inside buildings).  ;)

18 minutes ago, KGBoy said:

Now I'll ask: How and how many charges?

Depends on the unit and the Supply setting in the editor.

An important rule of thumb is to always split any engineer squads before Blasting.....Full squads sometimes use multiple charges to create just one breach, split sections or Breach Teams use only one.

If you want to get a better grip on these and many other questions, the simplest & best way is to figure out a test scenario, make it in the editor and try all the variables you can think of.....It still won't give you all the rules (they're quirky games), but you'll have a much clearer understanding of the mechanics as a designer and of your options as a player.

The Editor Is Your Friend!  :)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead