Blasting. What is worth blasting and what is not?

After blasting, when building wall collapses, is it possible to go directly into the building. For me, Pixeltuppen always does a run around to find a door. Is there any point in blasting buildings? Can you shoot into (or through) a blasted wall?

I have tried various ways but to no avail.

47 minutes ago, KGBoy said:

After blasting, when building wall collapses, is it possible to go directly into the building. For me, Pixeltuppen always does a run around to find a door. Is there any point in blasting buildings? Can you shoot into (or through) a blasted wall?

I have tried various ways but to no avail.

If you're using demo charges to blow a hole in a wall the infantry should rush through the hole automatically after it's made, if they aren't then the building itself is probably in a buggy area which happens sometimes. You can definitely shoot and even throw grenades through a blasted wall or doors and windows which is a great way to suppress any enemy troops inside before your guys kick in the front door.

17 hours ago, Codreanu said:

If you're using demo charges to blow a hole in a wall the infantry should rush through the hole automatically after it's made, if they aren't then the building itself is probably in a buggy area which happens sometimes. You can definitely shoot and even throw grenades through a blasted wall or doors and windows which is a great way to suppress any enemy troops inside before your guys kick in the front door.

I'll have to try some more buildings because I don't think I have ever managed to get them to go through the wall rather the the reach around to door.

15 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

What I said above.....Set your blast waypoint to the next Action Spot along the wall.

The detonation should take the wall down (about 90%, it does sometimes fail) and your sappers won't run through the breach

Good for not running through but if you can't run thorough a wall you can't run through a wall.

Thanks all!

5 hours ago, KGBoy said:

I'll have to try some more buildings because I don't think I have ever managed to get them to go through the wall rather the the reach around to door.

That is very strange as I can't recall seeing that ever happen. 

The success of the technique re blasting along the side of a wall, building or hedge rather than across it may depend on the orientation of the obstruction your unit is blasting.  ie:  It may or may not work depending on the way the obstruction is situated on the map. 

If you are concerned about a unit rushing into a building or across and obstruction, have found that the safest method is to add a FAST move waypoint so your unit runs back the way it came.  Often, if there is an enemy unit on the other side, the Tac AI will probably take a few seconds in its decision loop (while smoke from the explosion gives your unit some cover), and your unit can run back before the Tac AI can react and shoot at your unit.

Another technique is to time the blast so that it happens in the last few seconds of a WEGO turn.  Figuring that out is simply a function of experience.

(Of course if you are playing RT, you won't have any of the above issues.)

It's the bench. Troops always enter/exit through doors - even when there is no door, they will enter through where the door would have been. The destroyed wall is just a texture change of the building.

This means that if there's a bench in front of where the door would have been, that's where they will try to enter, and if that spot is blocked, they find another route.

7 hours ago, Combatintman said:

I guarantee you it will be those benches.  Flavour Objects can cause pathfinding issues.

Good eyes as usual @Combatintman I completely missed those (think it may be time for another visit to the optician)!  :rolleyes:

I can cofirm from copious testing that multiple flavour objects can properly **** up infantry pathfinding.

1 hour ago, zmoney said:

This happened to me the other day playing CMBS. The wall with no door was blasted and the troops sprinted past three buildings to run in the front door. With my other blast adventures it would seem blast is a bit buggy at the moment.

I wouldn't say it was overly buggy.....With careful setup and scripting it is even possible to get the AI to do it.

8 hours ago, Combatintman said:

I guarantee you it will be those benches.  Flavour Objects can cause pathfinding issues.

It is not the benches I guarantee it. Somebody show me a blasted wall with no door and the men go through it. I have never seen it.

1 hour ago, zmoney said:

This happened to me the other day playing CMBS. The wall with no door was blasted and the troops sprinted past three buildings to run in the front door. With my other blast adventures it would seem blast is a bit buggy at the moment.

This is standard AI behaviour.

FFS dude.....I've just told you that fully AI contolled units can do it, from AI scripts, without real-time human intervention of any kind.

@Combatintman & I (plus @MOS:96B2P @sburke and several others) tested every square inch of a tiny but exceedingly intricate urban map, extracted from @LongLeftFlank's awesome Ramadi, to ensure proper routefinding.....The entire map was built in this way to encourage the player to selectively use 'mouse-holing' to avoid the deathtraps I'd left on the more obvious & easier routes (ie: the ones the TacAI would take if a dumb player used single leg movements on a map that's essentially a maze). 

Consequently I can absolutely assure you that the Blast command works just fine as a rule, barring external issues.....Like flavour objects.  :mellow:

8 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

FFS dude.....I've just told you that fully AI contolled units can do it, from AI scripts, without real-time human intervention of any kind.

@Combatintman & I (plus @MOS:96B2P @sburke and several others) tested every square inch of a tiny but exceedingly intricate urban map, extracted from @LongLeftFlank's awesome Ramadi, to ensure proper routefinding.....The entire map was built in this way to encourage the player to selectively use 'mouse-holing' to avoid the deathtraps I'd left on the more obvious & easier routes (ie: the ones the TacAI would take if a dumb player used single leg movements on a map that's essentially a maze). 

Consequently I can absolutely assure you that the Blast command works just fine as a rule, barring external issues.....Like flavour objects.  :mellow:

OK. Tried it. I believe you now. Thanks!

True enough but I have attempted before and it is always something. Like terrain is uneven and they won't enter because the floor is vaguely submerged below ground level.. Buildings are off centred and the walls don't line up properly. There's a gap before 1 wall and the next. Really, it seems to work less times rather than more.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the system is perfect, as the example at the top of the thread demonstrates.....However there is usually a reason for an in issue and once you are aware of it, you can avoid it in the future. 

Blasting on the corner of walls can have some odd effects.....I've even seen units somehow move through the miniscule gap created between building modules when an internal wall was removed, but only once, in CM:A (I beleve @Erwin may recall this too).

On 10/14/2021 at 5:59 PM, Simcoe said:

Side note, is it possible to NOT have the unit sapping to run through the blown wall like the coolaide man?

Sucks to have your sappers blown to bits by running into a blasted wall that you know is watched.

Lmao! The charges are supposed to suppress the guys on the other side, making clean up easy. Set a pause on the other side of your blast command by clicking the waypoint and pressing your pause hotkey (Mine is P) until you get where you want. From 0:05 seconds to 1:30, to a perma pause. 

On 10/14/2021 at 6:02 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

What I said above.....Set your blast waypoint to the next Action Spot along the wall.

The detonation should take the wall down (about 90%, it does sometimes fail) and your sappers won't run through the breach

Good to know, this seems like a better solution. Your men will be able to peer into the hole they made from some cover at least.