Jump to content

Core file problems


Recommended Posts

I'm having problems getting my core file to sync with a couple of my scenarios (for a campaign).

I select the core units file that I want to re-import in the editor and it crashes the game to desktop. I thought it was a corrupted file, however when trying to import the same core file with the 5 other scenarios the editor it does so without incident. The core file is able to be loaded up in the editor itself, and even as a battle so it does not make sense to me as to why it would load into some scenarios and not others. I thought maybe it was something to do with the scenarios which I was trying to import into that was causing the problem (i.e they may have become corrupted) but they are able to be loaded in both the editor and as a battle perfectly fine. The core file is in the same directory as all the scenarios that I am looking to import the units too. Am I missing anything?  

Edited by rtdood
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Double check that you have the Core file loaded when doing the campaign wrap and save. For example - don't have your first scenario loaded when doing the campaign save - it must be the Core scenario file for the game engine to do the comparison against for all following ones where the forces are tracked.

Otherwise, post your campaign tracking code file and those of us that have toiled on similar issues before may have some insight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, George MC said:

That sounds like there is an incorrect unit ToE - what is unique about the scenarios that crash it re ToE that does not apply to the other scenarios that do?

Oh is this CMRT perchance?

Its not RT, rather BN. The 3 scenarios which are unable to load in the core file do all have new core units in them, however those same units also feature in battle 5 which IS able to load in the core units file. I made some slight changes to some of the units in the core file hence me needing to reimport them for the changes to take effect. 

Worse case scenario, excuse the pun, is Ill have to delete the previous imported units and try and import from scratch and assign the units placements to reinforcements and groups as if it was a new file. Not the end of the world, just time consuming. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, rtdood said:

Its not RT, rather BN. The 3 scenarios which are unable to load in the core file do all have new core units in them, however those same units also feature in battle 5 which IS able to load in the core units file. I made some slight changes to some of the units in the core file hence me needing to reimport them for the changes to take effect. 

Worse case scenario, excuse the pun, is Ill have to delete the previous imported units and try and import from scratch and assign the units placements to reinforcements and groups as if it was a new file. Not the end of the world, just time consuming. 

Just to clarify - you are trying to update the 3 scenarios with your revised core units file and NOT compile the whole campaign? Before compiling the whole campaign you would have to ensure all your scenarios have units allocated based on the revised core units file. But it does sound like this is what you are doing or at least trying to do?

 

Yeah it scuks - I feel yer pain! I have done the whole update/redeploy for a campaign four times now due to various ToE changes...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, George MC said:

Just to clarify - you are trying to update the 3 scenarios with your revised core units file and NOT compile the whole campaign? Before compiling the whole campaign you would have to ensure all your scenarios have units allocated based on the revised core units file. But it does sound like this is what you are doing or at least trying to do?

That's correct. I'm trying to update 3 scenarios with the revised core units file. This is near to the final hurdle.  I've tested the campaign about 5 times previously now so hopefully it should be good!   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, rtdood said:

That's correct. I'm trying to update 3 scenarios with the revised core units file. This is near to the final hurdle.  I've tested the campaign about 5 times previously now so hopefully it should be good!   

Ah cool.

This new core units file - you'll have to update ALL the missions in the campaign with it.

So it sounds like as you trying to update each of these missions individually with the revised core units files the game is crashing? Correct?

If so I'd suggest with the three causing issue is make a copy of each of these missions.

Then delete any units related to the core unit file that are there, then update each scenario (with the deleted units) with the new core units file.

Top tip!! take some screenshot/photos of the units (re AI plan, unit victory allocations and their deployment on the map etc BEFORE deleting em!)

Edited by George MC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/6/2021 at 3:47 PM, George MC said:

Ah cool.

This new core units file - you'll have to update ALL the missions in the campaign with it.

So it sounds like as you trying to update each of these missions individually with the revised core units files the game is crashing? Correct?

If so I'd suggest with the three causing issue is make a copy of each of these missions.

Then delete any units related to the core unit file that are there, then update each scenario (with the deleted units) with the new core units file.

Top tip!! take some screenshot/photos of the units (re AI plan, unit victory allocations and their deployment on the map etc BEFORE deleting em!)

Correct

Thank you! Good advice 😀.

Just finished reimporting the core files (after deleting all related units in each battle) and started fresh for each scenario. Just as well I didn't make more than 8 battles for this campaign! 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rtdood said:

Correct

Thank you! Good advice 😀.

Just finished reimporting the core files (after deleting all related units in each battle) and started fresh for each scenario. Just as well I didn't make more than 8 battles for this campaign! 😂

Nice one. Aye it’s a pain having to do that. It’s rare that ToE changes break stuff, but sometimes **** happens! Good you back up and running. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Okay, so now I've hit another problem. 

I decided to start completely fresh with a new core file - completely from scratch. For each individual scenario (that makes up the campaign) I deleted the original core units file, saved it as a new scenario and then imported fresh the new core units file into it. Manually placed the new units checking reinforcements etc. 

Now I've compiled the campaign together with the scripting file, I'm noticing that my core units are being completely replenished at the start of the 2nd battle, which is not what I want. Have I done the scripting wrong here? To my knowledge the refit, repair, resupply and rest are applicable for the next battle, so the core units should not be replenished at the start of battle 2. 

Have copied and pasted below the script file. 

/*Battle #1*/
[BATTLE NAME] Battle 001
[WIN THRESHOLD] minor victory
[NEXT BATTLE IF WIN] Battle 002 
[NEXT BATTLE IF LOSE]
[BLUE REFIT %] 0
[BLUE REPAIR VEHICLE %] 0
[BLUE RESUPPLY %] 0
[BLUE REST %] 100
[RED REFIT %] 0
[RED REPAIR VEHICLE %] 0
[RED RESUPPLY %] 0
[RED REST %] 0

/*Battle #2*/
[BATTLE NAME] Battle 002 
[WIN THRESHOLD] minor victory  
[NEXT BATTLE IF WIN] Battle 003
[NEXT BATTLE IF LOSE] Battle 003 
[BLUE REFIT %] 100
[BLUE REPAIR VEHICLE %] 100
[BLUE RESUPPLY %] 100
[BLUE REST %] 0
[RED REFIT %] 0
[RED REPAIR VEHICLE %] 0
[RED RESUPPLY %] 100
[RED REST %] 100

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, rtdood said:

Okay, so now I've hit another problem. 

I decided to start completely fresh with a new core file - completely from scratch. For each individual scenario (that makes up the campaign) I deleted the original core units file, saved it as a new scenario and then imported fresh the new core units file into it. Manually placed the new units checking reinforcements etc. 

Now I've compiled the campaign together with the scripting file, I'm noticing that my core units are being completely replenished at the start of the 2nd battle, which is not what I want. Have I done the scripting wrong here? To my knowledge the refit, repair, resupply and rest are applicable for the next battle, so the core units should not be replenished at the start of battle 2. 

Have copied and pasted below the script file. 

/*Battle #1*/
[BATTLE NAME] Battle 001
[WIN THRESHOLD] minor victory
[NEXT BATTLE IF WIN] Battle 002 
[NEXT BATTLE IF LOSE]
[BLUE REFIT %] 0
[BLUE REPAIR VEHICLE %] 0
[BLUE RESUPPLY %] 0
[BLUE REST %] 100
[RED REFIT %] 0
[RED REPAIR VEHICLE %] 0
[RED RESUPPLY %] 0
[RED REST %] 0

/*Battle #2*/
[BATTLE NAME] Battle 002 
[WIN THRESHOLD] minor victory  
[NEXT BATTLE IF WIN] Battle 003
[NEXT BATTLE IF LOSE] Battle 003 
[BLUE REFIT %] 100
[BLUE REPAIR VEHICLE %] 100
[BLUE RESUPPLY %] 100
[BLUE REST %] 0
[RED REFIT %] 0
[RED REPAIR VEHICLE %] 0
[RED RESUPPLY %] 100
[RED REST %] 100

Ah campaign scripts. 

 

taken from above discussion and what i use:

The example script in the game engine manual shows percentage numbers in the first battle, refitting, repair, resupply, etc. Those are NOT needed but you must have those lines in the script to avoid errors. NOTE: but they do nothing so set them all to 0% in the first battle. 

The % chance for the refit, and resupply, etc., to replace etc casualties and damage from the first battle comes from those percentage numbers in the second battle. e.g casualties from Battle 1 are replaced according to parameters set in Battle 2; casualties etc from Battle 2 are replaced according to parameters set in Battle 3.

This ties in with what you have written i.e. you have 100% for battle 2 so casualties etc from Battle 1 will all be replaced.

The % roll for cas being replaced etc has provoked some discussion - my take and how it appears to me is the percentage chance in all categories is for each individual soldier or weapon. So its 'dice roll' to determine how likely they are to be replaced/repaired/resupplied etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all your work rtdood.  FWIW I hope that you do restrict ammo and replacements between missions.  Campaigns are where all the features of CM2 shine and having to be careful with conserving your units and their ammo expenditure adds a whole new dimension.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/19/2021 at 1:50 PM, George MC said:

 

The example script in the game engine manual shows percentage numbers in the first battle, refitting, repair, resupply, etc. Those are NOT needed but you must have those lines in the script to avoid errors. NOTE: but they do nothing so set them all to 0% in the first battle. 

The % chance for the refit, and resupply, etc., to replace etc casualties and damage from the first battle comes from those percentage numbers in the second battle. e.g casualties from Battle 1 are replaced according to parameters set in Battle 2; casualties etc from Battle 2 are replaced according to parameters set in Battle 3.

This ties in with what you have written i.e. you have 100% for battle 2 so casualties etc from Battle 1 will all be replaced.

The % roll for cas being replaced etc has provoked some discussion - my take and how it appears to me is the percentage chance in all categories is for each individual soldier or weapon. So its 'dice roll' to determine how likely they are to be replaced/repaired/resupplied etc.

Thank you! I get that the replenishment needs to happen for the next battle entry, as opposed to the battle that they would need to be refreshed from.  Thank you for the detailed explanation - brains not quite functioning today lol :). I've given it a rewrite and it works :). 

Edited by rtdood
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/19/2021 at 4:30 PM, Erwin said:

Thanks for all your work rtdood.  FWIW I hope that you do restrict ammo and replacements between missions.  Campaigns are where all the features of CM2 shine and having to be careful with conserving your units and their ammo expenditure adds a whole new dimension.

Not a problem. Its really enjoyable to make a campaign, I've learnt a lot. Its not been without its frustrations, however (these will be explained in the pdf campaign file I'm creating to go with the campaign, containing Order of battle, Bibliography, Scenario information etc).  

There are a couple of battles where the player will not get any ammo replenishment so I've left it up to the player how much they wish to expend without opting for the ammo parameter - this could change depending on feedback if I'm able to get any play-testers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...