BS campaigns

I have never played a campaign and I am considering a Black Sea Campaign.  I also have the add on module with its campaigns.  So for those that have played campaigns, any recommendations?  I am leaning towards either the Ukrainian or Russian campaigns but I am open to a US campaign.  However I don't want to get into a campaign that is ultra difficult.   Also I do want one that is fun.  Any recommendations?

I say try the default Russian 'Crossing the Dnieper' campaign. I did that one first and I really enjoyed it. It was challenging at times but I didn't think it was ultra difficult. There are some interesting scenarios and the big amphibious river crossing was fun. 

I don't have the battle pack add-on though. I would be interested if someone else who played them can say if it's worth it.

22 hours ago, FogForever said:

I have never played a campaign and I am considering a Black Sea Campaign.  I also have the add on module with its campaigns.  So for those that have played campaigns, any recommendations?  I am leaning towards either the Ukrainian or Russian campaigns but I am open to a US campaign.  However I don't want to get into a campaign that is ultra difficult.   Also I do want one that is fun.  Any recommendations?

If you don't want to get into overly difficult campaign then don't touch "Striker Brigade" from the battle pack. 

Russian campaigns a pretty decent. I like both of them, especially the additional one (Heroes of Dneproderzhinsk), the original  (Crossing the Dnieper) is slightly easier. Heroes of Dneproderzhinsk have concealed and alternative missions. 

Ukrainian campaign is ok as well, but it's like mini (only 4 missions). I didn't finish US campaign yet, but it's also nice.  

The Ukrainian campaign is actually a good first choice because it's short.

Everything in BS is extremely lethal (as in, if you're in LOS it's Katy bar the door) so unless you've been playing a lot of it and are used to being patient to recon, recon, recon and only unmask when you have guaranteed superiority, then any campaign can go downhill in a hurry.

You wouldn't want to waste any of the longer campaigns on the learning curve, imho.

12 hours ago, FogForever said:

PS  I know a lot of BS scenarios have multiple AI tactical plans such that you may get a very different battle when you replay the scenario.  Is that true of the campaign scenarios?

Yes, campaigns are just linked scenarios with shared units so the author can create multiple AI plans for each scenario if they see fit. Some do, some don't.

MMM

13 hours ago, FogForever said:

PS  I know a lot of BS scenarios have multiple AI tactical plans such that you may get a very different battle when you replay the scenario.  Is that true of the campaign scenarios?

It's not uniform but it can happen, its always up to the designer. I've played the BS campaigns several times (I know, I know) and I've had a different experience every time, but whether that's because of different AI or different tactics on my end is another matter.

14 hours ago, FogForever said:

Thanks all but too late.  I already started up a campaign last night...Heroes of Dneproderzhinsk.  First scenario is pretty interesting so far. 

This one is very good. Done it twice. 

It has 6 missions. 

4th (named Road to Hell) is really difficult, but you have to win in order to proceed to 5th. 

And if you lose (!) the 5th you will get 6th. 

The battle pack Stryker campaign does a really good job of highlighting the challenges and advantages of the Stryker formation in a near-peer conflict. That inevitably means that it's more difficult (you can't lean on the Abrams/Bradley pair to get you out of your poor decisions), but it's an important piece of the CMBS high concept, that would otherwise be lacking. There is a Stryker brigade deployed to Europe in reality, so this kind of thing is important thematically.