Soviets no 82mm mortar?

Bufo

4 minutes ago, Bufo said:

Did the Soviets not have 82mm mortars during the cold war? Or why don't we have them in the game?

Sinse the mid of 70th 82 mm BM-37 mortars were out of service of motor-rifle units and remained only in air-assault units. Soviet motor-rifle battalions, especially BTR-type used 2B9 or PM-43+2B9 in own batteries. New 82 mm 2B14 appeared again in motorrifle units only since 1984-1985

1 minute ago, Haiduk said:

Sinse the mid of 70th 82 mm BM-37 mortars were out of service of motor-rifle units and remained only in air-assault units. Soviet motor-rifle battalions, especially BTR-type used 2B9 or PM-43+2B9 in own batteries. New 82 mm 2B14 appeared again in motorrifle units only since 1984-1985

Thanks Haiduk, I knew I could count on you 😉

Seems a rather strange decision, I wonder what was the reason behind it.

I guess this is something similar to Khrushchevs atgm only tank, so a rather bourocratic decision.

I have a copy of a US intel assessment doc from around 1979 that said the Russians had swapped out their 82mm for 120mm for organic mortar assets. BFC is aware of the 2B9 Vasilik 82mm automatic mortar but is saving it, I suppose, to spice up future modules. Oddly, a 1982 Defense Intelligence Agency 'Russian artillery field guide' in my possession fails to mention 2B9 at all. Was the US entirely unaware of that mortar?

I remember the first references to the 82mm Vasilek mortar in Western magazines around 1984-85. Some hyped it as the umpteenth Soviet threat to which NATO had no equivalent/countermeasure, other disparaged it as a poor piece of ordnance, albeit the automatic feed.

Anyway, it would be nice to have the 2B9/2B9M in future modules.