3 Quick questions from a newbie

Hi all, sorry to clutter your space with stupid newbie questions! I DID attempt using search and answered alot of my Q's... but I still have 3.

1) I have a Voodoo 2 and no cash, so upgrade is no answer. I don't mind the lack of clear smoke, but has a fix been found for the lack of objective flags texture? It does not even happen to me in regular play, only in the PBEM games. (NOTE: I'm still playing the DEMO while waiting for my copy to arrive)

2) What is the best resource for finding People to play by E-Mail with? I'm talking friends into buying the game... but so far I will be the only one with the full version.

3) Are the DEMO and the full game hard drive compatible? It seems like a stupid question I know, but I remember some games in the past warning you to remove all demo copies from the HD before install. I'd like to leave the demo for awhile so I can still play vs my friends w/o the full game.

Great Game! Combat Mission, combined with Shogun: Total War, has made my Wargame dreams come true this year!

1) Dunno.

2) Cesspool (That 1200+ Thread). Just act cocky and everyone tries to kill you. Then they start games of CM with you.

3) Yes.

------------------

You wouldn't know the dust of Thermopylae if it came up to you, handed you a business card reading "Dust of Thermopylae, 480 B.C.E.", then kicked you in the shins.

-Hakko Ichiu

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

1) has a fix been found for the lack of objective flags texture? It does not even happen to me in regular play, only in the PBEM games. (NOTE: I'm still playing the DEMO while waiting for my copy to arrive)

Not sure exactly what you mean, here. Do you not see the flags at all? Do they just look funny? Have you visited www.3dfx.com and downloaded and installed the latest drivers for your card?

2) What is the best resource for finding People to play by E-Mail with? I'm talking friends into buying the game... but so far I will be the only one with the full version.

The Cesspool might be a bit harsh for a newbie. You can always post right here, like you just did, with the header "Looking for PBEM" (or something more provocative, but along those lines), and depending on time of day you will be swamped in hours/minutes.

Demo games are not compatible with the released version as far as I recall. Maintain them in separate directories, and you can play both your old demo-bound friends and the bloodthirsty maniacs here, by starting with the appropriate .exe file.

3) Are the DEMO and the full game hard drive compatible? It seems like a stupid question I know, but I remember some games in the past warning you to remove all demo copies from the HD before install. I'd like to leave the demo for awhile so I can still play vs my friends w/o the full game.

As above, no prob, keep in separate directories. Just remember who's in which version, which can be challenging after a while.

Great Game! Combat Mission, combined with Shogun: Total War, has made my Wargame dreams come true this year!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Borg? rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elijah Meeks:

2) Cesspool (That 1200+ Thread). Just act cocky and everyone tries to kill you. Then they start games of CM with you.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They have to be somewhat interestingly cocky, Meeks. Didn't you have to post a number of times before, out of pity for your obviously disturbed state, you started getting games? smile.gif

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

I also have a Voodoo 2 and have no problems with flags in the full version of the game. I recall that in the demo they would get a little psychadelic, but haven't had any problems since then.

As for opponents, if you have a hard time finding any you might consider joining a ladder. Some people don't like to jump right in, but I've found it a great way to find opponents and to see how I rate amongst them. Here's a couple you might want to take a look at.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/edwin.vos/cm/cm.htm

and

http://tournamenthouse.com/CM

Welcome to your new addiction. smile.gif

Rich

[This message has been edited by Richlop (edited 09-01-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Seanachai:

They have to be somewhat interestingly cocky, Meeks. Didn't you have to post a number of times before, out of pity for your obviously disturbed state, you started getting games? smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Somebody has given him a game? I thought we were all way beyond that sort of stuff... Oh, maybe it was you, in one of your weaker moments. Tsktsktsk.

BTW, welcome Mr.Clark. Never mind Elijah, or Seanachai, or Mark IV, for that matter...

------------------

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

Hi all, sorry to clutter your space with stupid newbie questions!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, Mr. Clark (and all other newbies out there), this is YOUR space too! smile.gifsmile.gif

I won't disagree there have been cases of "newbie stomping" when someone comes out with a 'tude, but no need to be meek, either. Welcome to THE game.

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

Thanks for all the help everyone! Can't wait to recieve my full copy!

Also, I'm glad to hear someone else out there still has a Voodoo 2! wink.gif

One more thing... in High School I used to be a WWII fanatic, collecting all the HO scale figures, etc. Now I'm soon to be 33 and a bit rusty. What is the best web resource to brush up on my WWII stuff?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Somebody has given him a game? I thought we were all way beyond that sort of stuff... Oh, maybe it was you, in one of your weaker moments. Tsktsktsk.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He only got a game because he is my Official Combat Mission Sycophantâ„¢. Oh, and because he is evidently schizophrenic.

Mr. Clark,

WRT finding PBEM opponents, there are at least 4 (count em, four) CM Ladders out there, and they are always looking for fresh me... new blood. Go to the CM Web-ring for the full list. Just don't play with Germanboy yet; he'll bleed all over you, which is messy.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

[This message has been edited by Hakko Ichiu (edited 09-01-2000).]