is anyone not joining ladder?

I think I understand. Its like that thing that is on the other website in the thing with the thing. And you like do stuff with who wins and stuff. And who loses. I will join only if forced.

There was a thread way back I remember sort of that SS_PL (where the heck is that big girly-man these days?) was either for em or agin em or he was complaining about gamey things people do or some damn thing that degenerated into a flame war. Anyway the whole thing sounds like some peckerheads will make being on the ladder misery and others will be honorable. So who needs a ladder? It sounds like a reflection of life. The peckerheads make you miserable and the honorable are...honorable. Just my buckthree-eightyseven.

Peng

------------------

Peng sez "die a lot now."

Personally, I think the best use of a ladder is to find players near your own skill level. Or far from your skill level, as the case may be.

I'll use it as a way to gauge my skill against other players not as a 'must be No. 1' kind of thing.

Jason

------------------

Betas available to everyone are just publicity stunts anyways. -FK

If the ladder turns into a "must be number one killkillkill and cheat to win" thing, I will rectify that somehow. The purpose it to find people about as good as you and to make it easier to find people to PBEM. I won't be playing much on it and I wrote it! biggrin.gif

- Bill

I certainly won't join the ladder! In my experience ladders only ruin a game! That is of cource my personal oppinion, and I don't disrespect any who feel different.

I was a part of the Settlers 3 beta-test group, and I joined a clan after the game was published. In the begining, it was a wery fun experience, but after the ladder was set up, it all went quite sour. The focus shifted from having fun, to win the game at all costs. Every gamey trick was used to score, and it generated a lot of bad feelings in the comunity, with flamewars, hate-emails etc. I left the whole S3 comunity shortly thereafter.

So I'll stick to playing games where the focus is mostly on the game, and not just the end result.

And for the record, I have won most of my pbem's, so it's not due to being a sore looser (which I don't think I am)!

Hawk

------------------

Our's is not to reason why, our's is but to do and die!

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrPeng:

I think I understand. Its like that thing that is on the other website in the thing with the thing. And you like do stuff with who wins and stuff. And who loses. I will join only if forced.

There was a thread way back I remember sort of that SS_PL (where the heck is that big girly-man these days?) was either for em or agin em or he was complaining about gamey things people do or some damn thing that degenerated into a flame war. Anyway the whole thing sounds like some peckerheads will make being on the ladder misery and others will be honorable. So who needs a ladder? It sounds like a reflection of life. The peckerheads make you miserable and the honorable are...honorable. Just my buckthree-eightyseven.

Peng

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mr. Peng, reaching new depths of obfuscation, which otherwise he wholeheartedly eschews.

------------------

Andreas

The powers of accurate perception are often called cynicism by those who do not possess them. (forgot who said it)

Well, I signed up for it. Hopefully I will conduct myself as an honorable peckerhead.

At the very least I can provide cannon fodder for the accomplished, and if people get weird I can bail.

What's confusing, is this surrender business. One crew thinks I should surrender when it looks hopeless, rather than drag out the game and foul up the points. Another thinks that will deprive them of the satisfaction of bayonetting my medics, and will foul up their points.

And are you better off to retreat off the board, or just Haende Hoch and get a hot shower and some coffee? I don't understand the ramifications of the two (I think I do in Operations, but not in individual games).

I don't know why watching me drag my beaten ass to the map edge would be any more sporting than accepting a surrender, or fighting to the last cartridge?

I'm content to play either for the ladder or not for the ladder depending on my opponent's wishes. I generally lose either way.

I stand by my earlier conviction:

Any scenario, Any side, Any time

------------------

We are both men of action. Lies do not become us. — Westley

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited 06-11-2000).]

I'm not sure at this point, mainly because I'm not sure how many turns-per-day/week I would be able to generate. It's the same reason I have held off from asking for opponents, I don't want to make someone else wait because of my hectic schedule. For me the winning/losing thing is not the issue- a fun game is.

------------------

No matter where you go, there you are.

I'll give you a go Thumpre. I'll be gone Tues through Sunday next week. Send me a setup. I'll play any scenario, any side. Or we can wait until i get back, if you'd prefer.

I'll take the turns as I get them.

------------------

We are both men of action. Lies do not become us. — Westley

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited 06-11-2000).]

I would not worry about finding opponents.

I will play either way and would suggest there will be some ladder players who will also be happy to play non ladder games.

I play for fun, but I'm sure like all of us, I play to WIN.

I'm concerned about the undesirable "side effects" of ladder play, but I'm curious to know how I rank amongest all the other arm chair generals around here. I like the idea of the ladder so we can see who is winning and who is lossing the games. So I would like to be ranked as well.

But I won't just play ladder games only.

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

Ladder or not, I don't care. I play for the fun of it... not the points<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can this be true?

I signed up the ladder at the annex two days ago, then i started several PBEM games and promptly forgot my password for the ladder.

It is very difficult to keep record of trivial things like passwords when artillery shells keep falling on your nut...

------------------

Es gibt Tage da verliert man und Tage da gewinnen die anderen.

Oh dear, Oh dear!

To ladder, to ladder,

I've got a full bladder

and nothing else will rhyme,

I need an opponent,

Be back in a moment,

*pause* Thank you, I made it this time.

I'm thinking that first up I want a pool of players to contact and play against. Second up, how accomplished they are or otherwise is not too important to me. If they are good, I will learn. If they are not so good yet, I get a moral boosting victory. And the chance to bayonet their medics. Slaughter their baggage handlers. Pee in their soup turins. Loosen the tops on their salt shakers.

So I would join the ladder to find opponents. How will I find the non-ladder players so I can play them as well? (Real question there, if anyone knows the answer).

And then I would fill their combat boots with shaving cream. Jam potatos up their exhaust pipes. Place sachets of mustard under their toilet seats. Smear Vegemite around the eye-piece rims of their binoculars.

But my ladder ranking wuld be iffy, as the accomplished players would be forcing me to surrender with honour. Of course, if I only played the people on the *bottom* of the ladder.......

Ober

------------------

"Them Yankees couldn't hit the broa..."

I think I am giving a ladde a pass. Reasons:

1. I have benn bz with pbem already. Sorry Mark, I still haven't got time for ya. frown.gif But, rest assure I will beat you this time!

2. I have joined CMMC and expect to be even more bz!

3. I am not good enough for the ladder. biggrin.gif

Griffin @ lunch

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(