Lock & Chase vexes me [spoilers may lurk here; I've no idea though]. Advice? Counsel? For the sake of my pixeltruppen?

Not complainin', just confessin'.

Although I do the noobiest thing and go back to revise my saved orders, and retry many times, I have had to restart Lock & Chase. Wow, that one is tough. I thought Objective Normandy was tough, but I got through it without restarting from scratch.

Yeesh, those poor guys deserve a better commander. I'm trying to push into the warren of 1-story buildings in between the emplaced enemy MGs and their scout. Last time around, I tried taking out those MGs on the right first, so I could approach the trenches on my right, instead of the middle. Those MGs are tough to kill. I also made the mistake of sending a squad directly to those scouts, across that big open courtyard. They made it into the scouts' building, after failing to kill all of them from the shelter of a neighboring building. They wiped out the scouts, but they were out there on their own with no support and they got surrounded and slaughtered. It got down to pistols and grenades for one guy.

Tips or guides would be appreciated. It's starting to wear me down, realizing I have to face this and get through it.

I am also playing right now the Task Force Thunder campaign and I know your pain. I also had to restart twice, thought I was able to beat it at the thirdtry. My personal advice, spoilers free, is that you avoid buildings as much as you can, and follow the right edge of the map . You will eventually reach an orchard just infront of the SE trenches, were most of the firing will took place. It might look intimidating to fight in the open, but your soldiers are definitively better than the syrians plus they have night googles which the enemy lack, so you should be able to punch through that orchard with limited casualties (I took three). During this fight, do not get into the buildings, they are death traps that will cause unnecesary deaths.

In case you dont mind spoilers, here is some more information.

*SPOILERS*

The enemy will start chasing you at the 5 minute mark, as you will probably had noticed, and they are a platoon of infantry accompanied with a BMP-1. The best course of action is to forget about them and rush towards the buildings in front of the orchard I said previously. You will not encounter basically any resistance until this point. Get into the orchard and the building close to it and start gaining fire superiority. The enemy will have two DSHK heavy machine guns emplaced defending this approach which might look worrying, but your troops should be able to overwhelm them without too much problem. And like I said, avoid as much as you can getting into the buildings to to left of the orchard. You want to reach the trenches in like 15 minutes or so, as the platoon of enemy infantry is heading your way

Once you reach the SE trench line, you have to keep moving, do not stay at the trenches, as that full platoon of infantry is moving towards your location. Put them behind the slope and wait for reinforcements; the enemy wont follow you. Once the reinforcements are in, I recommend you to mass your forces in the direction of the NE trench line, and attack with your full company from there (The enemy will have less troops stationed here, but be careful, they might cause some casualties if you rush it).

Eventually you will have to return to the SE trenches to fulffill the occupy objective, and the enemy will be in the buildings close to it in high numbers, so be careful ( I took too many casualties in this part, like 15 or so, which made me only get a Major victory, instead of a total one. I also recommend getting one og the javelins and look for a high building, and see if you can locate and destroy the single BMP-1 that is chasing your force.

With that you should be able to get a major victory at least. Good luck!

Jajaja I always play with the bright option turned on. I cannot imagine having a meaningful fight with it turned off. But I can see why you would prefere to play in the dark, it would be out of character if you didnt ;)

Also, glad that I could help. That mission was definitively harder than the rest of the missions that until that point the campaign lobs at you, but they definitevily do not get better. I am now playing the mission before to the last and it is really a slog. Good luck in those missions, and I hope you can do better than I did! (Which considering the number of destroyed vehicles I had in the last mission, it will be not that hard XD)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just finished this mission tonight. Went not as bad as I expected! At the beginning I ran my cut-off platoon into one of the walled compounds on the south side of the map and just sat them there for the whole mission. I didn't want to run them toward the trench objectives by themselves with no support, because I figured they would be well defended. Plus I wanted to ambush the enemy troops as they came in.

There were buildings several stories tall in the compound, so I put observers on the top floors and had the rest of the men hide at the bottom until I knew what was coming. My plan was to at least harass the advancing enemy, and if things got too hot, I could move everyone down to the lower floors where they were hidden by the tall wall. I was expecting multiple enemy vehicles or even tanks, but turned out it was just one BMP. I had the platoon open fire from the second and third floors at the advancing troops. The BMP got wiped out by AT-4s at close range and the platoon caused quite a bit of damage from up there during a long firefight, but took one dead and two wounded, including the platoon commander himself. They were almost out of ammo by the end of the mission.

When the rest of the company arrived, I had them attack the north trench first and then swing to the south. I figured they would come under a lot of fire the moment they crested the ridge, so I kept everyone pretty close together to support each other in the tight spaces of the city. I slowly started clearing the buildings toward the other trench and eventually ran into that huge nest of enemy resistance in the buildings next to the south trench. Even though there were a lot of enemies, my two full-strength platoons still outnumbered them and were able to overwhelm them with a rapid assault through the buildings at point blank range. I took a few more casualties, but got a total victory with just two dead and five wounded.