Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Remove Pre-firing from AI QB plans

I can't imagine anything more annoying (In CM ;) ) than spending half an hour buying and setting up your troops, waypoints for them, and then losing half your formation at the start because you forgot that the AI religiously prefires on every single map.

Who thought this was a good idea? This is an awful  idea. Please stop doing this for every QB map. At least don't include it on meeting engagements and maybe probes....

Some maps the AI prefires right into your spawn. I have an idea. Why not just paint fire support plans for the enemy's setup zones on each side? That's pretty much the state of prefire plans today.

Am I alone?

Edited by Artkin

35 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Am I alone?

You're not alone. To counter this some of your forces could stay off map and let them enter the AO as reinforcements at the time of your choosing. To put a battalion size formation on an area the size of a couple of soccer stadiums is ludicrous. Dear scenario editors I appreciate your efforts, but I just don't play such scenarios. 

16 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

AO as reinforcements at the time of your choosing.

I just send the mortars in as reinforcements tbh

There's no option for reinforcements in quick battles. Or was this thread about both quick battles and scenarios although the subject only mentions quick battles?

Edited by BornGinger

You can set a 5min reinforcement for all reinforcement groups (1-8).. If you have the mortars come in as reinforcements they wont prefire because they wont be on the map or available for the map. You can set reinforcement by pressing 1-8 on a formation when purchasing it in the QB menu, similar to making a scenario in the editor.

3 hours ago, Cobetco said:

I have just learned to wait one turn, but yeah its annoying. I remember reading a long time ago that this issue was fixed in Final Bliz? but my memory is fuzzy.

I will keep an eye out and see if it's fixed, thanks.

1 minute ago, BornGinger said:

Is that in the manual? Never noticed if it is.

Probably not, I imagine it's a feature though.

You can set AI groups with f1-f8. (press f1-8 twice for groups 9-16).

Large QB maps typically have 8 AI plans. Medium QB maps typically have 4 (maybe 6?) AI plans.

Small QB at least two.

If you don't assign AI groups to your units I'm pretty sure they all stick to the same AI plan (default 1 [Which is F1] )

5 hours ago, Artkin said:

Probably not, I imagine it's a feature though.

So having reinforcenents in quick battles is something that you imagine exists because it's possible to make different AI plans for quick battles? Or did I misunderstand you?

I have made quick battles myself and always used all the 16 groups for both sides. But that doesn't mean you can have reinforcements in quick battles.

There are some things you can have in scenarios that you can't have in quick battles. Triggers and touch objectives, for example, are two of the things you can't use in quick battles as all objectives painted on the quick battle maps are occupy only. And I'm pretty sure that you can't have reinforcements in quick battles but get all your troops from the beginning. But you can use some of them as reinforcements on a large map by letting them stay idle in a corner from the start of the battle and send them in when things get critical.

Edited by BornGinger

37 minutes ago, BornGinger said:

So having reinforcenents in quick battles is something that you imagine exists because it's possible to make different AI plans for quick battles? Or did I misunderstand you?

I have made quick battles myself and always used all the 16 groups for both sides. But that doesn't mean you can have reinforcements in quick battles.

There are some things you can have in scenarios that you can't have in quick battles. Triggers and touch objectives, for example, are two of the things you can't use in quick battles as all objectives painted on the quick battle maps are occupy only. And I'm pretty sure that you can't have reinforcements in quick battles but get all your troops from the beginning. But you can use some of them as reinforcements on a large map by letting them stay idle in a corner from the start of the battle and send them in when things get critical.

Alright so you know that you can assign groups in QB selection for your AI opponent...

You can also assign a reinforcement and they will come in at 5mins. All of the 8 reinforcement groups all come in at 5 mins. Try it