Back After a Break Since 2002... Is there a Central Repository for Maps and Mods?

AGCent2

And the older version of the website is still there in case Bootie has not had time to transfer everything:

https://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/

Welcome back @AGCent2, hope you have plenty of free time on your hands 😉.  A lot of the maps and mods have instructions with them or if you get stuck there are some threads on the forum here with help and lots of folk who don't mind answering questions.  I'm not sure I've seen a tutorial, but there might be one.

1 hour ago, AGCent2 said:

Another question, is there a tutorial on installing custom maps and mods?

Fortunately, that is simple.  The best method I find is to create a "Z" or "Mods" folder in your User Data folder.  That can be found under Documents/Battlefront/Combat Mission/<Game Name>/User Data...

Then add what mods you want to the new folder.  If you want to have a lot of mods, it is helpful to create "Z" or "Mods" subfolders in order to better organize your mods.  For example, under my main "Z"/Mods" folder I have Z UNIFORMS; Z TERRAIN; Z UI; Z SOUNDS; ZFX etc.  

If you go back to the <Game Name> folder you will see "Game Files".  Inside that will be all the content folders.  User created maps should be go into "Quick Battle Maps".  Scenarios go into Scenarios, Campaigns go into Campaigns etc.

20 hours ago, AGCent2 said:

Another question, is there a tutorial on installing custom maps and mods?

The other useful thing to know is that any folder named "Z something" will load its contents (mods) last.   So, if you have several mods that do the same thing (eg: the same tank mod but made by different people), the mod folder that starts with a later letter of the alphabet will have its .bmp contents loaded last and that mod will appear in your game.  

So, mod folder "A tank" will be overwritten by a folder named "B tank".  We tend to name such such folders "Z name" as one can be sure that Z is that last letter of the alphabet.  Similarly a mod named "ZZ name" will be loaded after a mod named "Z name".  The more "Z's" in front of the mod folder name, the later it will be loaded and therefore the mod will appear in your game.

Hope that is clear...

23 hours ago, Anonymous_Jonze said:

21 hours ago, Erwin said:

Fortunately, that is simple.  The best method I find is to create a "Z" or "Mods" folder in your User Data folder.  That can be found under Documents/Battlefront/Combat Mission/<Game Name>/User Data...

Then add what mods you want to the new folder.  If you want to have a lot of mods, it is helpful to create "Z" or "Mods" subfolders in order to better organize your mods.  For example, under my main "Z"/Mods" folder I have Z UNIFORMS; Z TERRAIN; Z UI; Z SOUNDS; ZFX etc.  

If you go back to the <Game Name> folder you will see "Game Files".  Inside that will be all the content folders.  User created maps should be go into "Quick Battle Maps".  Scenarios go into Scenarios, Campaigns go into Campaigns etc.

OK, as an example:

Install dir = D:\Battlefront\Combat Mission Red Thunder (sub directories Data, Misc, Mod Tools)

Userdata = D:\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Red Thunder (sub directories Game Files, User Data)

If I want to add a map (containing the BTT, BMP (called null special editor overlay.bmp) and a JPG file) to the Quick Battle Map Selection menu where would I place the BTT, BMP and the JPG files?

Edited by AGCent2

16 minutes ago, AGCent2 said:

OK, as an example:

Install dir = D:\Battlefront\Combat Mission Red Thunder (sub directories Data, Misc, Mod Tools)

Userdata = D:\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Red Thunder (sub directories Game Files, User Data)

If I want to add a map (containing the BTT, BMP (called null special editor overlay.bmp) and a JPG file) to the Quick Battle Map Selection menu where would I place the BTT, BMP and the JPG files?

I dropped the BTT file into the 

D:\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Red Thunder\Game Files\Quick Battle Maps

folder and it did not show up in the map list...

14 minutes ago, AGCent2 said:

.btt goes in Documents/Battlefront/[CM GAME NAME]/Game Files/Scenarios (if it's a scenario) or Quick Battle Maps (If it's a QB map).

.bmp goes in your z or Mods folder.

No idea about the .jpeg.....AFAIK CM ony uses .bmp files. 

1 minute ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

.btt goes in Documents/Battlefront/[CM GAME NAME]/Game Files/Scenarios (if it's a scenario) or Quick Battle Maps (If it's a QB map).

.bmp goes in your z or Mods folder.

No idea about the .jpeg.....AFAIK CM ony uses .bmp files. 

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-red-thunder/cm-red-thunder-add-ons/razymin-master-map-care/

That's the map. How can i tell if its a QB map or not?

Just now, AGCent2 said:

I dropped the BTT file into the 

D:\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Red Thunder\Game Files\Quick Battle Maps

folder and it did not show up in the map list...

That suggests it does not meet the requirements for a QB map.....Either it's a blank map for scenario designer use, or it's a scenario.  Try putting it in the Scenarios folder, then select Battle from the main menu.  It should show up in the list you see, if it does start it up and see where you are at.

Just now, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That suggests it does not meet the requirements for a QB map.....Either it's a blank map for scenario designer use, or it's a scenario.  Try putting it in the Scenarios folder, then select Battle from the main menu.  It should show up in the list you see, if it does start it up and see where you are at.

Fair enough. 

I am really looking for huge QB maps and those listed as Huge in the QB map selection menu aren't.

3 minutes ago, AGCent2 said:

Ahhh.....Clue's in the name there!  That's an absolutely enormous master map, strictly for scenario designer use.  Unless your PC is seriously beefy it will probably crash if try to view it in preview mode!

Personally I've created a folder called Master Maps (you may already have one, some games do) in all my CM games (in the same directory as Scenarios & Quick Battle Maps) for these things and the maps I make myself.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

8 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Ahhh.....Clue's in the name there!  That's an absolutely enormous master map, strictly for scenario designer use.

Personally I've created a folder called Master Maps (you may already have one, some games do) in all my CM games (in the same directory as Scenarios & Quick Battle Maps) for these things and the maps I make myself.

any idea how to convert it or a portion of it to a QB map?

Lots & lots of AI script writing.....I'd strongly recommend a somewhat less ambitious project if you haven't done it before.

I don't do QBs as a rule, but I've acquired some pretty big maps over the years and I tend to dump them into my QB Maps Folder by default.....I'll fire CM:BS up and see what the biggest thing it offers me is.

EDIT - OK, now I'm confused.....CM:BS QB just offered me a ton of maps, including a few of my own that I know are not set up for QBs! 

I think you need advice from someone more familiar with QBs than me.....Sorry.  :unsure:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead