Best way to attack Stoumont

In my first attempt to overtake Stoumont, I can see that starting from the south end (where the church is) and working north through the town will exhaust my troops. I did an initial bombardment but now I'm wondering if I should wait for all artillery reinforcements to arrive, bombard further and then attack on a broader front. I'm attacking in the dark. Although a good portion of the southern portion of the town is lit up buy burning vehicles. Any thoughts?

I've played this campaign and scenario a couple of times now, and never really found the perfect way to attack Stoumont. The main issue is that the whole village is shielded by a big and gently sloping hill, which means you can't use much direct fire, and makes your troops exposed if they try to cross. But going along the road is tough too. Flanking south could be possible, but as far as I remember, that avenue is also covered. I think the best solution might be taking the high ground north-east of the village and going from there. But if it's dark in your battle, you won't get much benefit from that, if you won't have LOS.

If it's really dark, maybe try some kind of infiltration tatics?

Edited by Bulletpoint

Also played this a long time ago. It is a tough battle and a lot of casualties will be taken. IIRC I attacked over two axis: one along the road through the town, while the other went for the highground. 
It went 'ok', however I took about 100-200 casualties if I remember correctly. 

You guys may have reminded me...  (I hope we're talking about the same mission here as IIRC there are more than one dealing with the Stoumont attack and I can't be 100% sure as have played so many similar-sounding scenarios.)

Assuming this is the same mission...  I found the high ground route (Left Flank) to be a trap.  Vehicles can easily get bogged and the US Priests are able to see thru the woods and can pivot and blast units in the woods.  

My most successful attack went along the road until it takes the left hand bend - at that point exit to the right and attack the treeline where there are some inf in foxholes.  That area is out of LOS of enemy ATG's and artillery and It is relatively easy to then attack the village from that direction.  You then have to boogie to quickly attack the town staying towards the right before the massive US artillery arrives.  

57 minutes ago, Erwin said:

You guys may have reminded me...  (I hope we're talking about the same mission here as IIRC there are more than one dealing with the Stoumont attack and I can't be 100% sure as have played so many similar-sounding scenarios.)

Assuming this is the same mission...  I found the high ground route (Left Flank) to be a trap.  Vehicles can easily get bogged and the US Priests are able to see thru the woods and can pivot and blast units in the woods.  

My most successful attack went along the road until it takes the left hand bend - at that point exit to the right and attack the treeline where there are some inf in foxholes.  That area is out of LOS of enemy ATG's and artillery and It is relatively easy to then attack the village from that direction.  You then have to boogie to quickly attack the town staying towards the right before the massive US artillery arrives.  

The battle I was imagining was 'Storm on Stoumont'. Found a Youtube video about it: