Breach & Clear

It seems what is really missing in this game is a infantry command to breach and clear command when entering suspected hostile buildings. This way entire squads won't get KIA'd by a random single enemy that just won't surrender. It will also my assaulting forces competitive on urbanized maps.

Engineers and specialized assault troops are the only troops in the game that can use explosive charges to "breach and clear". Rifle infantry generally do not have this capability. You can split teams or use the Assault movement order to compartmentalize losses but the reality is you should never send a single man anywhere you haven't already sent many bullets.  

Urban fighting or MOUT in American parlance is an ugly, complicated affair under all circumstances. Real life Commanders avoid engaging in city fighting as much as possible for many, many good reasons. Not the least of which is the potential for catastrophe such as the one you experienced, an example which stacks up rather well with real life examples such as Operation Gothic Serpent

Edited by SimpleSimon

• 3 weeks later...

I just try to get a squad close to the house I wish to enter and use the target command. If they're close enough and have hand grenades they will usually lob a 2 or 3 of them during a one minute action phase. Rush your boys in there next turn while they're stunned and they will finish the job. It's not a breaching charge but it will suppress/kill the enemy fairly well. Alternatively you can split the squad have one group suppress and the others charge. This worked wonders for me in the Aachen Campaign in final blitzkrieg. It's not safe work but as aforementioned urban battles are nasty stuff in war.

58 minutes ago, chi-chi said:

Given as much close combat as there is in many of the games a movement order that prioritized shooting first would be beneficial.

Sure you can do it right now but it requires a lot of needless micro.

For what it's worth this is already in the game. If you use the 'Quick' movement order, troops will stop and fire their rifles/MGs/AT at targets that appear, especially if the target is close and a direct threat. Plus, you can always add in some pause waypoints to have a squad stop for a handful of seconds and return fire as well. 

Quick is the best method we have currently but its not uncommon to see guys run over spotted enemies rather than engage them. Its usually enemy troops who are cowering so my guess is that the TACai doesn't judge them as a high enough threat to stop movement towards the waypoint. In most instances the enemy is still cowering when the soldiers reach their waypoint but its not uncommon for the cowering enemy to recover and engage them.