MIxed type T-34 formations at Company level

Brother George is working on a wargame design and asked me whether the Soviets ever mixed T-34 types (T-34-76 and T-34/85) in the same Tank Company, not as TO&E, but as a place to put another T-34 type when a unit had been so wrecked only a few survivors remained. Back came this little gem, supposedly shot near Berlin, following my query to the Military History Club  Za Oborunu on FB. Image expands. This looks like a Tank Platoon, but could just as easily be the remnant of an entire Tank Company. Matters not, for it shows this low level mixing did occur. Have no idea whether such a capability is available in the CMRT force lists. Not only is there a T-34/76 and T-34/85 mix in the below photo, but there are two different models of the former!

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

I doubt the T-34A/B (far right) was still on the Battlefield by Wars End...My guess,  the Photo is from a Tank School to show the different types of T-34's through the years.

in major Offensive engagements most of the T-34 Battalions will be of the same type, but smaller engagements (local defense or small counter-attacks) for sure would have a mixed Company of T-34's (7x T-34/85 and 3x T-34/76, or vice-versa...all depending on year/month).

Edited by JoMc67

2 hours ago, DMS said:

I'd read that platoon commanders received T-34-85 first. I am not sure how common it was.

Makes sense.  For the UK and US was it common to have the platoon CO have the first Fireflies with the rest in vanilla M4's?