Tracks in the snow?

This may have already been asked/covered, but I was watching an episode of the old WW2 TV show Combat! today and got to thinking... in the snowy scenarios, will troops and tanks leave tracks that can be followed? I'm thinking probably not, but after watching Vic Morrow march around in the snow for an hour, it just crossed my mind smile.gif

I think "thatWreck" is correct, they are not included as putting tracks wherever an AFV has passed during a battle would result in having to put the tracks all over the place with a corresponding hit to the CPU. Would be a nice feature to see in CM2 though.

CrapGame out

Not just that, but you'd have to have a separate routine in the LOS engine to make sure that each player only sees the tracks that his troops actually see; those calculations would hit the CPU harder than the track-graphics themselves.

DjB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by przy:

We can't have everything down to the most minute detail unfortunatly. wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I kinda figured that would be a big hit on most CPUs... like I said before, I pretty much knew that it was wishful thinking, but it would be kinda cool... smile.gif

Yeah, I kinda figured that would be a big hit on most CPUs...

Not most, but _all_. Suppose that there are 50 units on both sides and they walk around for one turn, each leaving tracks in, say, ten different locations. Then, there would be 2*50*500 = 50000 LOS checks in the next turn. In a couple of turns this would lead to _enormous_ number of LOS checks.

I would like this feature also very much, but I seriously doubt that we will ever see it, unless some pretty ingenious method to resolve the checks is devised.

(I have a vision of a large-scale forest battle: on one side, an elite company that has been on a mission behind enemy lines and is now on way to home. On other side, a batallion or two of normal infantry trying to catch and destroy the raiders. The map would be as large as technically possible (some 20 km x 20 km would be nice) and contain woods, lakes, marshes, and cliffs. (Note: these kinds of battles happened in Karelia)).

- Tommi