New soldier faces

I have to say I'm no fan of the soldier faces in CM. I know there are photorealistic mods and such floating around, but I decided to do my own, semi-realistic versions, which I think are more in keeping with the overall feel of CM. This is the result:

Before...

faces2.jpg

After...

faces1.jpg

Personally I like them much better, but you can make your own mind up.

Daves_CM_Faces.sea.bin (Mac)

Daves_CM_Faces.zip (PC)

Let me know what you think!

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

Guest Lord General MB

Sir,

THE EYES! I like the work you've done.... but the eyes need to be a bit less intrusive. There just HUGE and stareing:

Number 3 from the left in the middle row looks about right for the eyes.

Dave, Excellent work.

Only suggestion is the eyes. They freak me out a bit when playing. I feel they are "real" people. They're talking to me saying, "hey, don't send me to my death! I'll come after you while you're sleeping!!"

So, could you blend the eyes in a bit more? Also the guy who is at the top-left looks like he might be retarded or cross-eyed.

I'm not trying to be rude with the retarded comment, just an honest obvservation.

Otherwise these are excellent. Thanks so much for the great work. Can you send me your version 2 if you decide to redo the eyes?

Thanks!

If you were surrounded by people trying to sneak up and kill you, you'd be staring too! Personally I prefer big eyes to small smudges, but yeah, I might redo them (I should be doing some REAL work first though).

As for the top-left guy – some people do have their eyes close together. It's the type of thing where you look at something someone's made up, and you think "hey, that's weird, that can't be right!" – but if you saw it for real, you'd go "hey, that's weird, I can't believe it!".

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

As "facials" are an important element to "get right" in a 3D game to keep it immersive, I commend your work, David. The shadow/shading effect for noses/cheeks are better than the default. But like a few others earlier---I gotta give thumbs-down on the eyes. They give the faces a "cartoon" (or leastways, anime cartoon) appearance in their size. The eyeballs are usually noticeable on most people, but eye-white is far more subtle and often near-hidden behind eyelids when you pay attention to people's faces at varying distances.

Guest barrold713

I am of the opinion that anyone who puts forth the creative effort to make CM better is to be appreciated and given proper recognition for the contribution. So in that spirit thanks for the files.

I am currently using the 3D profile mod that was posted a couple weeks ago and I like that pretty well. I understand from a previous post that these files would look different in the game so I would like to get the opinion of anyone who has used both.

My only constructive comment would be to echo others about the appearance of the eyes as they look here. I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

------------------

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

- Ben Franklin

I think this is an improvement...

faces1b.jpg

I forgot to point out something else – I'm rather pleased with the backs of my guys' heads. After all, that's what you see most of the time!

Before...

hair2.jpg

...and After.

hair1.jpg

David

------------------

Guest barrold713

Very solid tweak David! The 2nd version look much better with the more subtle effects around the eyes. Excellent work.

BDH

------------------

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

- Ben Franklin

They look great. I'm downloading them now and I can't wait to try them. Again, thanks so much for you dedicated work. It's persons like you who help to keep this fabulous game fresh almost each and every time I play. Kudos.

------------------

"Do not needlessly endanger your lives until I give you the signal"

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Hell, I USE a Mac, it's PC users who should be thanking me! =) Luckily I have a PC to hand.

David

------------------

I just want to know who changed Wild Bill's and my face? hehehehe Some of the originals were converted from pictures...I no longer look like me. hehehehe

Rune

I'm awfully relieved I've finally managed to get rid of the original faces... they're so bizarrely ugly... the guys who did them must have very distorted minds... what's that you say, rune? Two of them are actually you and Bill Wilder? Ummm, oh really, I was just saying how sorry I was to replace them, considering how handsome they all are! =)

David

------------------

Very nice David. You think those were ugly? Man, you oughta see Rune and me in real life eek.gif

For those interested, mine is #11 in that first stack of 12 at the top of the page.

I told you I was old! I can't help it mad.gif

At least I made a good Volkstrum soldier biggrin.gif!

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

[This message has been edited by Wild Bill Wilder (edited 09-25-2000).]

David------congratulations on 1.01-----these are a huge improvement over previous sets and versions.

My single reservation is that though the eyes are now far better they all appear to have a very light patch under the eyes. The rest of the facial shading and the backs of the heads look excellent.

Is there any minor increase in shading that could be applied just beneath the eyes.

Thanks for your contributions to improving the games visual appeal