Game Files directory

Hi all,

I was willing to copy over my first scenario from CMSF1 to CMSF2 but the Game Files directory has changed it seems. I am wondering if this is linked to Windows 10 or not.

So, after a little search:

Game Files directory is now under C:\Users\User\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Shock Force 2\Game Files\ in CMSF2.

Game Files directory is under <installation directory>\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force\Game Files\ in CMSF1.

Is it my install or others have the same?

2 hours ago, sburke said:

Really?  You think that would be a problem?  :P 

It might be for those who purchased the upgrade version.

INSTALLATION LOCATION

Combat Mission: Shock Force 2 installs its main game files into a location on your hard drive(s) of your choice. Default is the "Program Files" directory. The files written into this location are typically not user-editable. User data, such as preferences, hotkeys, save games and PBEM files, custom scenarios, and mods, are located inside your My Documents folder, under "{userdocs}\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Shock Force 2\". You can influence the location by editing your Windows settings for where the My Documents folder is located.

The Installation instructions show how to install a brand new game. There is nothing in the instructions explaining the procedure for the upgraded version of SF2, unaware of this, most users, like myself, would've thought the upgrade installation wanted to be pointed at the SF1 directory just like we've done with previous patches and game engine upgrades.

So..., after pointing the upgrade to the SF1 directory, what I received in return was a brand new SF2 game & directory as a sub-folder inside the SF1 directory. Unfortunately, I discovered the error, after, I had painstakingly, looked up all my old activation codes and re-activating every module twice. ( 1 for each SF1 module to prove ownership, 1 for each copied SF1 module for installation into SF2) I decided to leave it where it was, having to reactivate that lot all over again sealed its fate for re-installation.

It would have been nice, though, if the upgraded versions download came with the proper instructions to install it correctly.

3 minutes ago, Ch53dVet said:

The Installation instructions show how to install a brand new game. There is nothing in the instructions explaining the procedure for the upgraded version of SF2, unaware of this, most users, like myself, would've thought the upgrade installation wanted to be pointed at the SF1 directory just like we've done with previous patches and game engine upgrades.

So..., after pointing the upgrade to the SF1 directory, what I received in return was a brand new SF2 game & directory as a sub-folder inside the SF1 directory. Unfortunately, I discovered the error, after, I had painstakingly, looked up all my old activation codes and re-activating every module twice. ( 1 for each SF1 module to prove ownership, 1 for each copied SF1 module for installation into SF2) I decided to leave it where it was, having to reactivate that lot all over again sealed its fate for re-installation.

It would have been nice, though, if the upgraded versions download came with the proper instructions to install it correctly.

Well not much to help you there as there have been so many threads and descriptions of the installation of CMSF2 that if you haven't been able to get it from that, likely there is simply no way without calling you up on your phone personally and saying - "hey you know how to install CMSF2 right.. "  that BF could get your attention.

5 minutes ago, sburke said:

Well not much to help you there as there have been so many threads and descriptions of the installation of CMSF2 that if you haven't been able to get it from that, likely there is simply no way without calling you up on your phone personally and saying - "hey you know how to install CMSF2 right.. "  that BF could get your attention.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining or crying over split milk,, hell, I bought and installed it on the first day of release, not being a layman it didn't take me long to figure out that the upgrade wasn't a rewrite of SF1, which was my initial assumption in the first place. (1000 atta boys and one oh crap wipes the slate clean)

I was merely pointing out that a layman might have a problem trying to figure it out, that's all.

I'm a layman.  :D  At least I have been told that.

Seriously I am not disagreeing with you that there are folks that will be confused.  I just think that is ALWAYS the case.  Question is - is it a lot of people or a couple of one offs that are easily corrected.  In my world in IT that is kind of how we evaluate effort.  Do I spend an inordinate amount of time to try to catch every possible case or do I just put in the effort to catch say 90% and figure the trade off of that 10% is they are far less work than trying to catch them by spending too much effort on the front end.

kind of like that other thread going on about the naming of the file.  One guy had some difficulty and a couple other people agree with him.  That's it.  Whether BFs naming convention is the best or not doesn't really matter if in the end result it is only concerning to a small handful. Those folks are easily handled either on the forum or helpdesk while BF goes and works on the next items they want to release.  You don't stop what you are doing to address an item that 3 people care about and yet that is what they have essentially demanded and Steve has finally conceded on just to end the thread.  It is really a poor use of BFs time and yet these folks feel their issue is the one thing BF needs to stop and address right now.