Survey

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Durruti:

Surely you would also need the time of day and the latitude and longitude of birth location to get anything more than a generalised 'newspaper column' type reading?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely right, but I use more than just astrology. I have found that eastern astrology and numerology also can give an ok generaralised reading based on simply a date of birth.

Now if you add all three general analyses together... you get a much more accurate picture of the personality. Certainly more complete than any one type of analysis in isolation.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest grunto

Don't the Chinese count the day of conception as the birthdate so perhaps they should have used those born in 10-1926 through 9-1927?

Have you seen the footage of them being taken prisoner in Normandy? They had long hair.

Andy

Guest grunto

--... a mage for the allies (the good, like Gandalf) and a witch for the germans(the evil ones, like ... like... the one from Sleeping Beauty!). --

...the "Weird War patch" to CM?

Andy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by grunto:

Don't the Chinese count the day of conception as the birthdate so perhaps they should have used those born in 10-1926 through 9-1927?

-SNIP-

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Andy, You're right about the Birthdate being that of conception in Eastern countries.

To give an amusing slant on astrology (I don't believe a bit of it - so be warned), here's a little tale a friend of mine told me:

He took a course on Western Thought at Georgetown University (could have been American I don't recall). The professor did a couple days on the fringe topics, including astrology, and had the entire class fill out a bio sheet that included, among other things, birthdate, place of birth, time of birth, etc. Everyone handed in their results, and the professor promised to get their horoscopes done by a professional.

Two weeks later he gave everyone their results, and asked them to rate their horoscope's accuracy on a scale of 1 to 5, 5 being "right on the money." A couple gave the horoscopes a 5, twenty people gave it a 4, 15 people gave it a 3, 4 people gave it a 2, and a couple people gave it a 1 (probably overly cynical bastards!). The professor then instructed everyone to pass their horoscope back one row, the person in the back giving their copy to the person in the front row in typical scholastic fashion.

Guess what? Well, they were all identical. The professor, an unapologetically cheap man, only got his horoscope drafted and photocopied the results.

The lesson is simple: Using the wonderfully vague language prevelant, indeed necessary, in horoscopes provides the creator with the ability to tell anyone some kind of half-truth about themselves. And this isn't surprising, considering 1) we all come from the same species, and have the same traits as a race; and 2) being the same animal, we have the same needs, and one of those needs is fulfilled when we hear what we want to hear.

------------------

MaddMatt/Crimguy

CO, VMFA-323 Death Rattlers www.deathrattlers.webme.net/homepage.html

[This message has been edited by maddmatt (edited 08-14-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maddmatt:

He took a course on Western Thought ...etc.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good argument madmatt. As this thread has not yet been closed for it's irrelevance to cm, here's the well publicised situation that the professor used as the basis for his experiment.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> But Joyce Jillson, Hollywood astrologer to the stars (whose column is carried by the Tampa Tribune), unwittingly allowed ABC-TV reporter John Stossel an opportunity to demonstrate for his millions of "Good Morning America" viewers in November 1988 just how well astrology works in spite of it appearing not to be real. Jillson first prepared a detailed horoscope for a person unknown to her, whose birth information (which is all she requested) was supplied to her by Stossel. Stossel then distributed a copy of the completed horoscope to each student in an adult education class (all 20 students had given Stossel their own birth information one week earlier).

The students, thinking that they were each reading their own personalized horoscopes, marveled at how Jillson knew things about themselves that no one else could possibly know! But they all, male and female, were reading the same horoscope, that of someone described by Jillson as "enormously bright . . . [with] sexual charisma . . . great charm . . . a sense of moral propriety . . . [who] may know celebrities . . ." Stossel thought that Jillson may have incorrectly assumed the birth information to have been his own. But Jillson's one-size-fits-all unisex horoscope was actually based on the birth information of mass murderer Edward Kemper III who, in addition to many other "charming" deeds, had cut off his mother's head and used it as a dartboard!

Concluded Stossel, while confronting Jillson on camera with the facts and watching her squirm, "I just think this shows it's a hustle, and you make money by writing general things that everybody believes is about them." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Obviously a very embarrassing episode for astrologers. However, even scientists understand (more than most because of their well documented history of scepticism of concepts that were later proven ie. gravity) that the absence of proof is not quite proof of absence.

btw the eastern astrology that I use definitely uses date of birth, not date of conception.

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

sure, My Info is the same as George S. Patton jr's except I was born in 1977. 11/11/77 same day WW1 ended. Veterans Day. And I already know that I was George In my past life and have lived at least 250 some odd lives before this one and I know that many of those lives we cut short on the battlefield. I can fell it in my blood.