To Scale?

Kind of curious about the scale that other players give their soldiers. I personally prefer realistic because... well... it's realistic. Of course, that means I have to use those ugly bases, but still, their dimensions sure are realistic!

And on a side note, does anyone else wish that squads were represented by the full twelve (or ten or eight, whatever) as much as I do? I suppose I just lust after the cinematic appeal of watching a full 120 + change members of my company marching to the front lines. I like the battles to feel big and stuff so that I can feel like I'm a really important person to be commanding so many infantry with such effectiveness. I mean, who DOESN'T want to see bodies flying when those 150mm shells start coming in as opposed to the little twitches the abstracted squads give? Sigh... I'm sure my cpu could never handle it but I would probably still watch it in its choppy framey glory.

Hawkeye

Guest Germanboy

Depends on the size of the battle and map and view, normally +1 and bases, in view 1 realistic.

As for the other two points, no and no, I am not interested.

------------------

Andreas

I'd skip the bodies flying thanks. That sort of thing doesn't appeal to me.

As for size, I prefer realistic, until I start losing people. Then, I start making them bigger.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hawkeye:

Kind of curious about the scale that other players give their soldiers. I personally prefer realistic because... well... it's realistic. Of course, that means I have to use those ugly bases, but still, their dimensions sure are realistic!

Hawkeye<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I jump around. When I'm plotting my turn, I usually either turn the bases on or up the size a notch or two, and turn the trees off. I also like to show paths (Alt P). Then, when I'm ready to "GO", I return the troops to thier normal size, turn the trees back on, and get rid of the bases and paths and enjoy the show. Once you get the short-cuts down, it just takes a sec to do.

Good Hunting!

Usually +1 and only use bases to locate any "forgotten" bailed out tank crew.

Not interested in full squad representation - would rather the processing power be spent on refining the animation/ model of the current representation - ie. make the running more frantic and the "move" or walk sequence more realistic - this is just topping really. Full squad representation is really needed unless each soldier can be given distinct and separate commands - and this level of detail is not required in a computer wargame IMHO. smile.gif

I play at the +1 level. I find the realistic scale too small unless it is a very small map, but anything greater than +2 looks like a sci-fi movie. I like Von Fauster's solution though.

As far as your other points, I will withold my opinions on those topics because they have been discussed to death.

------------------

Ow, my leg!

I use +2 w/ bases. I think in posting the size, you should also post your resolution, because there's quite a difference between the sizes at different resolutions. Anyway--I use 1024x768.

I also have no interest in full man squads for reasons posted in several threads.

--Philistine

I play at realistic scale with the bases. I increase the scale to maximum when I want to check the dead bodies to gain some intellegence. i would like to see the figures modeled so that you had 1 figure for every 3 men. US squads would have 4 figures. HMGs would have someone feeding ammo belts into the gun. HQs would have a radio operator with the commander. It wouldn't be as bad a hit on the CPU that modeling every single soldier would be but add a little more depth and add consistancy to what the figures represent.

I just read through 4 threads on the full representation issue. It seems people feel pretty strongly about it. I think we'd all like the game to be a perfect photorealistic recreation of WWII if the programmers had the time and our CPU's had the horsepower. I'd love to see individual shell casings, detailed hand to hand combat, all the differents weapons, thousands of soldiers on screen, etc. etc. But of course, like everyone else, I'm not ready to exchange gameplay for eyecandy. Surely no one wishes the game looked plainer? That's all I'm trying to say! Sorry I didn't do a search before I appended that afterthought, btw.

Hawkeye

Definately +1 at 1024x768 rez. Any rez higher than that and my 17" monitor becomes the nausea machine. I use the bases during the orders phase. They're real useful there, but look horrible during the action. Luv them hotkeys!

-Ski

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Oberst Angsthase:

i would like to see the figures modeled so that you had 1 figure for every 3 men. US squads would have 4 figures. HMGs would have someone feeding ammo belts into the gun. HQs would have a radio operator with the commander.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like that idea. For the record I use +1 scale and no bases.

realistic and bases.

As for squad representation. I like the 1 figure for three idea that has been brought up before. But don't feel it matters if it is difficult at all to do.

Lorak

------------------

Proud commander of the CCT's Chinchilla Commando Teams

guachi wrote:

> I was (as far as I can tell) the first one to suggest that one figure represent three men.

Sorry, did someone confuse you into thinking the CM community is democratic? Credit goes to the guy who can claim it loudest and most often, and threaten his opponents into submission. Understand that this is a historically accurate model, based on Nazi Germany. Got to create the right atmosphere for the game...

David

------------------

There's a splinter in your eye, and it reads REACT

Guest Mirage2k

Realistic without bases. Really, it's not that bad. smile.gif

No to 1:1 representation, ditto for flying bodies.

-Andrew

PS: Vote Blah for President!

------------------

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by guachi:

When do I get my free gerbils? tongue.gif

Jason<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No gerbils, but a party-size can of Crisco is on the way. wink.gif

I use realistic setting; bases and movement paths on and trees off all the time; 640X480 on a 14" screen.

Michael