Kelly's Heroes

Pvt. Ryan wrote:

Would it be when the German tank commander blows open the bank doors so the Americans can steal the gold, or when he sells his Tiger to the Americans (even if the fuel system did leak all over the place)?

Actually, I thought about the scene where a SS officer orderds the tank men to run their engines for some time. His subordinate responds to this: "Jawohl, Herr ...fuehrer" (I didn't catch what kind of fuehrer he was).

The catch is that according to SS regulations the officers shouldn't be addressed as "Herr"s. (Except in the SS-Wiking division, where the division commander decided to throw that part of regulations over the wall).

Oh, I love the smell of nitpicking in the morning.

- Tommi

I have a few, This is just what I have on DVD

about WW-II.

Batan

The Big red One

The Bridge at Remagen

A Bridge Too Far

The Caine Mutiny

Cross Of Iron

Das Boot

The Dirty Dozen

The Fighting Seabees

Flying Tigers

The Guns Of Navarone

Kelly's Heroes

The Longest Day

Memphis Bell

Midway

Patton

Sands Of Iwo Jima

Saving Private Ryan

Stalingrad

The Story Of G.I. Joe

They Were Expendable

The Thin Red Line

Tora Tora Tora

A Walk In The Sun

When Trumpets Fade

Any body know of any thing WW-II on DVD

Dave

------------------

My front is pushed back.My right gives way.Situation Excellent! I am attacking!

Ferdinand Foch 1916

"DAS BOOT" Great film,,,

One of my all time favourites... i am a great fan of the Kriegsmarine, in particular the Unterseebootwaffe...

Cantt wait for "Silent Hunter 2" to be released...

------------------

Quote.

If you see a white plane it's American, if you see a black plane it's the RAF. If you see no planes at all it's the Luftwaffe." ---German soldier on the Western Front, 1944.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DaveT:

I have a few, This is just what I have on DVD

about WW-II.

[snip list]

Any body know of any thing WW-II on DVD

Dave

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know if it's on DVD, but you need to get "Battleground" in there somewhere. THAT is the quintessential "grunts" WWII movie (the vacuous and superficial "Saving Private Ryan" notwithstanding).

(And that's pretty high praise for me when you consider that I hate Van Johnson)

There is a movie out there - one of the greatest movies ever made about WWII - called Winter War. It is based upon the german/soviet actions in finland in the early stages of the war. I wish I could tell you who directed it, who starred in it, whatever, but it isn't a hollywood film. I see it only at historical minatures conventions, or it can be ordered through the military history book club. If you are serious about your war films, this is a must see. One of the great aspects of the film is that they actually use equipment and armor from the war (the german and soviet vehicles aren't just US stuff repainted).

Anyway, amoung my die-hard history buff friends, this movie recieves the greatest praise. Unfortunately you will not find it in a typical video store. Find it anyway you can, you will not be dissapointed.

DaveT wrote:

Any body know of any thing WW-II on DVD Dave

The new Finnish war movie "Ambush" (Or "Rukajärven tie" up here) was released on DVD some time ago. I don't know where it is available, though.

Ambush is pretty good but it is nowhere close Winter War or the original Unknown Soldier. It is very loosely based on a real mission but there are only four scenes in it that really happened. As in most cases, the book ("Elämä isänmaalle") was much better, in particular because it told the real story. Also, there are some holes in the plot (Exactly how did the original reinforced platoon shrink to a single squad? Why are they cycling North when they were ordered to go South?) but these don't become apparent until second or third viewing.

GIJim wrote:

There is a movie out there - one of the greatest movies ever made about WWII - called Winter War. It is based upon the german/soviet actions in finland in the early stages of the war.

Scratch the Germans. During the Winter War they supported Soviets and actually stopped the weapon shipments that Italians sent to Finland. (When the relations between Germany and SU grew colder in late 1940, Hitler allowed those transports to reach Finland).

Winter War is pretty accurate historically and a lot of it is based on memoirs of veterans. I have written a couple of times some explanations for some scenes in it, you could try to search them.

But briefly, the movie follows the war path of a company of JR23 (Infantry Regiment) through battles of Taipale and Vuosalmi. I can't remember which company was formed at Kauhava but I think it was in the second batallion of the regiment. (Had my grandfather lived 10 km to South West he would have served in that batallion but as he lived in Alahärmä he was put in an independent sapper company instead).

- Tommi

Thanks, I saw Winter War years ago. Your right great war movie. I will be on the look out for Ambush. I had not even heard of it.

Dave

------------------

My front is pushed back.My right gives way.Situation Excellent! I am attacking!

Ferdinand Foch 1916

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tss:

.....Actually, I thought about the scene where a SS officer orderds the tank men to run their engines for some time. His subordinate responds to this: "Jawohl, Herr ...fuehrer" (I didn't catch what kind of fuehrer he was)....

- Tommi<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn I thought you were talking about DAS BOOT, I was going to mention the time the sailor washed the captains' car window.

Hey, one film you guys seemed to have forgotten to mention is an absolute classic filmed in Germany in B & W titled "The Bridge"... or "Der Brucke" in it's original German. A fantastic recreation of the final days of the Third reich with a bunch of young sshoolchildren defending a bridge about the same size as the one in saving Private Ryan.

If you want to see what Panzerschreks/Bazookas can do when fired inside a building, watch this film! And another thing...if you're an American attacking a ragtag bunch of youthful German defenders, don't, whatever you do, call them "kindergarten" kiddies....you'll regret it!

A must see film I.M.H.O.

Regards

Jim R.

------------------

What's that! Is that the spluttering sound of a 700 HP Maybach diesel engine? Oh SH*T....Panther!