Is anyone using SB Live?

IDF

I'm using SB Live w/Harmon Kardon HK-595 speakers, and CM sounds just great.

------------------

Ob's stürmt oder schneit, ob die Sonne uns lacht, der Tag glühend heiß oder eiskalt die Nacht, bestaubt sind die Gesichter, doch froh ist unser sinn, ja unser sinn, es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin

-- Panzerlied

I use it too. IMO it IS a regular sound card. Works well, and never had any problems with it.

------------------

I prefer an enemy who's willing to die for his country. That way both him and me have the same aim in mind.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Yank:

I also use SB Live with Cambridge soundworks four point surround(FPS 2000).And it sounds great to me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto!

Hawk

------------------

Our's is not to reason why, our's is but to do and die!

I am using the SB Live! I posted the following on the Tech board, but it may apply here:

I have been living with a chattering sound and playback problem ever since I began playing CM. It seems like what one would have when a peripheral is being accessed and the playback and sound stutter. I just noticed that the new beta load leaves an error log on my directory and I wondered if it might help me identify the problem. Specifically, my sound card is a Creative SB Live card, I am running a PIII 450 with 384M ram. My error log says:

CPU speed rated at 1631

Sound is NOT Microsoft certified

Sound card has memory (K) = 512

K/s download rate to hardware = 0

Software overhead in CPU % = 0

Max # of static buffers that can be mixed = 32

Max # of buffers (static or stream) that can be mixed = 32

Max # of static 3D buffers = 32

# normal sound channels: 3

% CPU usage for standard channels: 0

# 3D sound channels: 9

% Total CPU usage: 0

The rest of the log shows it playing normally. Can anyone spot an anomaly in these first lines of the log?

I'm using a SB Live! X-Gamer. I use the "Forest" setting as well for CM.

Now one question though...

Where do you position the rear speakers of a 4-point surround speaker system on your computer desk???

I don't recall floating invisible shelfs behind me. wink.giftongue.gif

I do however use MidiLand speakers with a subwoofer.

LOL! Those invisible shelves Maximus mentioned would sure be useful smile.gifI switched my back speakers to 150 watt JVC tower speakers and put them right behind me.It's been working fine for me so far.(Kinda get in the way sometimes though.)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

Where do you position the rear speakers of a 4-point surround speaker system on your computer desk???

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Used to be a sound engineer and I put mine on a pair of stands that I use for a pair of small mains that I used for very small and quiet areas (my regular mains and their bass bins take up quite a bit of floor space and don't know the word "quiet"). Look kind of funny to put those little plastic cubes on such a relatively large rig, but they serve their purpose admirably and have the advantage that they can be easily moved.

Of course, my computer room has only the disc farm in it, so it's not like I have a pair of stands and speaks in the middle of the living room.... don't think that She Who Must Be Obeyed would approve!

Oh, and I've had no problems with the SB Live and think it was one of the best upgrades I've ever installed (from a Turtle Beach Tropez on one machine and an SB16-Roland Sound Canvas combo on the other). Cleaner sound and a noticable decrease in noise form the card.

[This message has been edited by Compassion (edited 12-16-2000).]