Forum woes

Guest Big Time Software

Guest Big Time Software

OK Kids...

We knew that UBB (the software we use) has problems with large, active forums like ours. Unfortunately, we have once again found this out by having our server totally locked up trying to process UBB requests. Unfortunately, UBB simply wasn't designed to handle this sort of load so we don't hold out much hope of getting this issue fixed.

Does anybody know of another decent BBS software package out there? We are looking for one that does not use PERL since that is a large part of the problem with UBB.

Please post suggestions here and we will look into them.

If we do switch from UBB we will keep the old BBS alive for searching, but not responding to, the large base of information stored here. We are not at all anxious to lose all this accumulated knowledge, if you can call it that smile.gif

Thanks,

Steve

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scott Clinton

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>We are looking for one that does not use PERL since that is a large part of the problem with UBB.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! No wonder! smile.gif

Sorry, I am not up on the latest forum software but I can attest from my limited use of PERL it is something to be avoided at all cost. wink.gif

Good luck.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Guest AbnAirCav

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>NNTP would be a good thing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMHO, it is as long as it's moderated ...

[This message has been edited by AbnAirCav (edited 12-05-2000).]

Ahh I remember, a good FREE board system, is EZBoard.com, they host the board, you provide the skin. Downside of having banner ads (imho not a big deal, but some people are vehemetly opposed to them). They can handle the load, where a WebX product will cost $1.50 per 1k page views (for the hosted solution), cant remember the non-hosted solution price but it aint cheap.

------------------

Veni, vidi, panzerschrecki

I use some other web-boards that are driven by the O'Reilly software. It's ok but they're slooooooooooooow. Don't know whether the board software or the host hardware is to blame, though.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Not quite as "pretty" (and I can't really comment on how bulletproof it is), but O'Reilly Software makes a product called WebBoard. The underlying engine is SQL, which may help with searches, etc. I'm guessing that it's PERL-free from what little I've seen.

O'Reilly Software's WebBoard:

http://webboard.oreilly.com/ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guest AbnAirCav

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chupacabra:

Ugh, please not Web Crossing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If Web Crossing is what CGO uses, I'm in agreement. Perhaps there's a better way to organize it, but I'm not too impressed with the way they have it now (altho I do like the discussions there, especially the wargame forum).

Unfortunately, I visited all the sites that I recall liking the board software they use, and (you guessed it), it's all UBB. frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>If we do switch from UBB ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know if an alternative is to acquire more horsepower or memory, but since BTS does say "If", I'd like that option if that will allow you to keep using UBB. (Yeah, I know, easy for me to say.) Heck, I'd even be willing to give up the Peng & Hamster threads ... smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fuerte:

NNTP would be a good thing. Can you setup your own news server? I know that there is already one in usenet, but my ISP does not have it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wizards of the Coast has set up their own news server, at tank.wizards.com, for their message boards. It works fairly well, it seems, though there's some weirdnesses 'coz the boards are in a web format too. (which I haven't seen) It seems like most of the people there view the boards with a newsreader.

The big drawback of doing that is that you need to have instructions about how to view the forums somewhere on the site, and a few less technically inclined people may not see the forums at all, 'coz it's too much trouble to configure the newsreader properly.

Unfortunately, the only other BBS package I've really liked is WebBBS, which is also perl.

-John

How about closing the current board to new posts while keeping it online as a reference and starting a new general discussion board. You could even start it on 1/1/01 and call it CM General Discussion 2k1 or something like that. Pretty much solves the problems (at least for another year).

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

Hello everyone: When I'm not here I hang out at a closed beta test forum at www.bc3000ad.com.

They use www.infopop.com © 2000

It appears to be very versatile but I am do not know if the program is run in PERL. I do recommend that it be checked out.

sniperscope

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>When CM arrived, all other land based war games became crap.

sniperscope<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AbnAirCav:

Heck, I'd even be willing to give up the Peng thread ...   smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bah! we wave our hand at you. And we, sir, would be willing to give you up! But your other advice and help in this thorny issue is appreciated.

------------------

Tremble, tyrants and you perfidious opprobrium of all the parties,

Tremblez! your parricidal projects finally will receive their prices!

But these sanguinary despots, But these accomplices of Berli,

All these tigers which, without pity, Bauhaus the centre of their mother!

We will enter the career When our elder is not there any more,

We will find there their dust And the trace of their virtues

Guest Big Time Software

Thanks for the help guys...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>  I don't know if an alternative is to acquire more horsepower or memory, but since BTS does say "If", I'd like that option if that will allow you to keep using UBB. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The problem is that we will, eventually, have to do this again. Actually, the only real hardware alternative for us is to get another server JUST for the BBS. Our current server has 512MB of RAM and dual 500MHz PIIIs already smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I think Perl cgi is the way to go. Many scrips are available and work well.

TH has has over 150 perl scripts running with never a problem.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It isn't the number of scripts that is the problem. In fact, only ONE PERL script is eating up almost all of our CPU time. The problem is the size of this BBS. Unfortunately, UBB's archieving tools stink so there is no good way to pair things down.

We will keep looking for something. We must be the hosts and it must be robust. Freeware and external hosted setups are absolutely out of the question.

Steve

I'm a moderator on the www.counter-strike.net forums and we use www.vbulletin.com

(Yes, I am living PROOF that you can love "twitch" games AND thinking-man pursuits. biggrin.gif)

vBulletin has worked fine for us. We used to be in the same boat you guys are, and we were FORCED to switch after the huge influx of new members. (Yeah, 21k+ members kinda ruined UBB for us, let me tell ya. smile.gif )

It's nice because our moderating has become easier, faster, and the users are happier because they have more (and more bug-free) options. In the immortal words of CS players, "w00t! vB 0wNz j00!"

P.S. I hate "l33t-sp34k" too. Don't hurt me. biggrin.gif

------------------

I/O! I've been watching the CS boards for a LONG time. Too bad SplitSoul left, huh?

Steve, whatever new software you use, can we stick with this format of clicking on and reading the entire post at a time, as opposed to having to click on each different response? I read WAY faster than I can click. smile.gif

Yeah, it REALLY sucks he left, Split's cool... frown.gif Ah well, cliffe agreed with me to let Sniper_Magnum take his place, so far he seems to be on the straight and level, so to speak.

I still talk to Split on ICQ, it was basically "personal" issues at home that made him leave. frown.gif

Anyway, since you've been there, you know what I mean when I say that the vB program is MUCH better than UBB, right?

[This message has been edited by I/O Error (edited 12-06-2000).]