Excerpt From Famous Patton Speech

I happen to have an electronic copy a famous speach that George Patton gave to the American troops of the Third Army the day before the Normandy invasion. If you have seen the great movie "Patton" you have heard the watered down version. The language is EXTREMELY colorful, but I think it gives us a good idea of what kind of man Patton was and his attack philosophy. So here is the last third of the speech:

"When a man is lying in a shell hole, if he just stays there all day, a German will get to him eventually. The hell with that idea. The hell with taking it. My men don't dig foxholes. I don't want them to. Foxholes only slow up an offensive. Keep moving. And don't give the enemy time to dig one either. We'll win this war, but we'll win it only by fighting and by showing the Germans that we've got more guts than they have; or ever will have. We're not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we're going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun cock suckers by the bushel-****ing-basket."

"War is a bloody, killing business. You've got to spill their blood, or they will spill yours. Rip them up the belly. Shoot them in the guts. When shells are hitting all around you and you wipe the dirt off your face and realize that instead of dirt it's the blood and guts of what once was your best friend beside you, you'll know what to do!"

"I don't want to get any messages saying, 'I am holding my position.' We are not holding a Goddamned thing. Let the Germans do that. We are advancing constantly and we are not interested in holding onto anything, except the enemy's balls. We are going to twist his balls and kick the living **** out of him all of the time. Our basic plan of operation is to advance and to keep on advancing regardless of whether we have to go over, under, or through the enemy. We are going to go through him like crap through a goose; like **** through a tin horn!"

"From time to time there will be some complaints that we are pushing our people too hard. I don't give a good Goddamn about such complaints. I believe in the old and sound rule that an ounce of sweat will save a gallon of blood. The harder WE push, the more Germans we will kill. The more Germans we kill, the fewer of our men will be killed. Pushing means fewer casualties. I want you all to remember that."

"There is one great thing that you men will all be able to say after this war is over and you are home once again. You may be thankful that twenty years from now when you are sitting by the fireplace with your grandson on your knee and he asks you what you did in the great World War II, you WON'T have to cough, shift him to the other knee and say, 'Well, your Granddaddy shoveled **** in Louisiana.'

No, Sir, you can look him straight in the eye and say,

'Son, your Granddaddy rode with the Great Third Army and a Son-of-a-Goddamned-Bitch named Georgie Patton!' "

"That is all."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Keith:

I happen to have an electronic copy a famous speach that George Patton gave to the American troops of the Third Army the day before the Normandy invasion.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Small wonder that Eisenhower decided not to land Third Army on the first day! biggrin.gif

Henri

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Swamper:

Keith,

Could you send me the entire speech? Or let us know were you found it.

Thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The full speech can be found at

http://home.att.net/~driftwood22/patton.htm

andsome more information is at

http://knox-www.army.mil/museum/pattonsp.htm

[This message has been edited by David_N_DC (edited 10-13-2000).]

I am, as I freely admit, a great Patton admirer. That speech is very intiresting to study. The emotion he used in the speech was all a carefully staged act. In fact, the speech was first written in early 1941, and was calmly dictated by Patton to his secretary, complete with language. His secretary later commented just how funny it was to hear such an elequant, and profane speech said by such a passionate man with a complete lack of emotion.

Secondly, Patton, unlike George C. Scott had a high pitched voice. The image one might relate this fact to is Mike Tyson, altho the case wasn't as extreme. Patton was famous for his gruff talk and personality that he presented to most people. His voice, he felt, really did not fir the image.

Did Patton really read Rommel's book? Well, yes, but not as the movie portrays. The movie shows Patton reading "The Tank in the Attack" which Rommel did not write. Rommel's book was "Infantry in the Attack." Secondly, Patton read it LONG before WW2 started, although he did indeed read it during WW2 before a battle. However, he read the book in preperation for Operation Cobra. (which was, in fact, Patton's plan. Bradley either copied the plan (unlikely) or somehow got the gist of it. Bradley added in the aerial bombardmant idea himself tho)

Patton is also one of the most quotable men who has ever lived, and not just from the speech. He also wrote poetry, some of which is increadably moving. His most well known poem, "Through a Glass Darkly" was quoted in part in the movie.

Here are some of my favorite quotes I can remember off hand:

"A pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood."

"When I realize that I am what I am, I am amazed. But, on reflection,who is as good as I? I know of no one."

On being ordered by Bradley not to attack Trier, as it would take atleast 5 divisions to capture:

"Have already captured Trier with three divisions, do you want me to give it back?"

"Success in war depends on the 'golden rules of war'; speed, simplicity, and boldness."

"There is nothing more pathetic and futile than a general who lives long enough to explain a defeat."

"War is the only place where a man lives."

"Do your duty as you see it, and damn the consequences."

"A good solution applied with vigor now is better than a perfect solution applied ten minutes later."

And my personal favorite, which expresses my own feelings about war:

"Could anything be more magnificent? Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance. God, how I love it!"

By the way, here is by far the best site of Patton info I have found on the web. It includes the FULL speech, a WAV of Patton speaking (see the high pitched voice for yourself) and also an entire book on the General. In that book (The Unknown Patton) is an extensive collection of his poetry, quotes, and some facts and cleared up misconceptions about the General.

I love talking about Patton, so much so that my friends kid (and sometimes don't "kid") about me being Patton reincarnate. Well, as of yet I don't recall any of WW2 "as if through a glass and darkly" but I do hold my ideas and opinions that Patton also held, and what I consider the same personality. (oh, but I don't LOOK the part. wink.gif)

Anyways, I'm sure I'll post much more on this, one of my favorite topics.

------------------

busboy

CO, 99th Dragons

A Warbirds Squadron

'We will heat you up'

"It is well that war is so terrible, else we would grow too fond of it."

-Robert E. Lee

Hey, while we're on the subject of quotes, let me add one from (uh-oh, brain fart) FDR, I believe. It's a favorite of mine:

"It's not the critic that counts, not the man who points how the strong man stumbled or whether the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs, and often comes up short again and again.

"Who knows the great enthusiams, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause. And who, if at best in the end, knows the triumph of higher treatment and high achievement. And at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly so that his soul shall never be with those cold timid ones who know neither victory nor defeat."

------------------

"Nuts!"

Some people questioned the authenticity of my signature awhile back. Something to the effect of "I'm sure he did'nt really say THAT."

C'mon.

------------------

As I walk through the Valley of Death, I will fear nothing, for I am the meanest mother*#*#** in the valley. (George S. Patton)