Steve, why is it that you can't pit ally against ally?

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Is it something that is coded into the behavior of the sides' units, or is it that you just can't simply select the same two sides in a scenario, a la SP, such as in the DYO/editor?

Well, I doubt it due to the coding because there a is friendly fire feature, right?

------------------

"Fear is the path to the Dark Side.

Fear leads to anger.

Anger leads to hate.

Hate leads to suffering."

--Jedi Master Yoda

[This message has been edited by Ol' Blood & Guts (edited 04-30-2000).]

Guest herbjorn

1. axiom "Fear leads to anger"

2. axiom "Anger leads to hate"

3. axiom "Hate leads to suffering"

1,2,3 and MP: "Fear leads to suffering"

"Fear is the path to the Dark Side"

--->

"Suffering is part of the Dark Side"

Guest Big Time Software

Just the way it was coded up. There is nothing that can be done, easily, to change this.

Remember that everything happens because of code. So unless you PLAN on doing something fundamental like this it becomes harder to do with each day's worth of coding. Since we never planed on it... smile.gif

Steve

On East front it seems that germans frequently used T34s. Russians used Stug, PIII and PIVDs.

All you really need to to is to add American equipment into German Equipment pool (and vice versa)

Of course you might need to have german marking on American tank. So new texture might be needed.

Guest Big Time Software

Not that simple smile.gif There are all sorts of things going on under the hood that need to be set up to handle same sides playing against each other. Code is an amazingly ridged thing smile.gif

On the Eastern Front we will specifically code up some vehicles for both sides to use. Precentage wise the Germans and Soviets used far fewer of each other's vehicles than people seem to think, but enough for us to simulate to some degree.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Not that simple smile.gif There are all sorts of things going on under the hood that need to be set up to handle same sides playing against each other. Code is an amazingly ridged thing smile.gif

On the Eastern Front we will specifically code up some vehicles for both sides to use. Precentage wise the Germans and Soviets used far fewer of each other's vehicles than people seem to think, but enough for us to simulate to some degree.

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How will it be Steve with CM3 in North Africa?

Guest Big Time Software

Same deal. Vehicles that were more or less commonly used by the opposite side will make it in, otherwise not.

Steve

Apart from the African encounters against some Vichy French units (and even they didnt have US or Brit equipment right?) I dont know of any case where Allies vs allies would be of use.

I for one and kinda glad there is no allied vs allied ability. I know this is going to sound daft but some hypothetical wars and real ones still hit a bit too close to home for me to enjoy. Hypothetical ww2 US civil wars over race, real conflicts such as the Irish Civil war or the Irish Independence campaign make me feel uncomfortable (I am English/Irish so the wounds are a bit too deep). Some of my american freinds still have a queasyness with Veitnam "games".

I know this is hypocritcal and I make no excuses for it. Once again I must express my admiration for the post WW2 German generations who have had painful parts of thier history played out many many times in games & movies. I dont know how they handle it with such good grace. I know I couldnt.

cheers

_dumbo

Dumbo,

They have simply had to deal with it because no one has asked them for their opinion on the matter. And had they indeed objected they would have been told to shut up and take it, on pain of being branded as neo/old nazis. The Germans have simply been free targets for the last decades.

M.

[This message has been edited by Mattias (edited 05-01-2000).]

It is my understanding that in either 42 or 43 there was a firefight between US and Australian troops at a Brisbane train station. Read this a long time ago and cannot remember where it came from but it sorta stuck in my mind.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dumbo:

Apart from the African encounters against some Vichy French units (and even they didnt have US or Brit equipment right?) I dont know of any case where Allies vs allies would be of use.

_dumbo<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would like to see Bulge scenarios with Germans using captured equipment (captured during Arnhem and the Fall battles.

The germans had a unit (brandenbergers?) that had all soviet equipment and uniforms for special missions. Germans modified T34s with cupolas and sights so they went to some effort to use and retain them.

Lewis

What about those coutries that fought on both sides of the war?

For example, the battle of Suursaari would make a nice CM scenario (German amphibious assalt against Finns, with Soviets throwing some Sturmoviks into the fray).

And yes, the number of interesting battles between Finns and Germans as well as Rumanian-German and Italian-German battles is so low that there are a lot of more important issues to spend programming time on.

- Tommi

And don't forget Spanish Civil War 1936-39 as part of CM2: first PzI and PzII, T-26, (and Messersmitt 109, Stuka),... saw action there...

Also, there was a spanish regular division with the germans (near Leningrad) and a lot of spanish republican volonteers in the free french ranks.

Well, forget it if you want, there are a lot of really relevant matters to lose your time with this exotic questions.

Go ahead!