Cannot Make Screen Caps

If you're not running Windows 10 (which according to threads I've seen here, I believe allows you to do screen captures) you need a third party screen capture program such as FRAPS for your screen grabs.  If you search the forum using terms such as 'screenshots' or 'screen captures' you will find plenty of discussions about the subject.

1 hour ago, Harry Speakup said:

If you have Steam installed on your machine, then add CMxx as a "non-Steam shortcut" in Steam (option underneath activate a game). Use Steam to launch the title and screencaps work using F12.

Thanks.  My Fraps was giving me problems with screenshots in CMSF and CMA.  (Works fine in the newer titles)  This Steam workaround is better to a certain extent.  The F12 key that is used for a Steam screenshot is also a CM hotkey that selects the last unit.  Steam seems to work for the first screenshot taken.  But all following screenshots the camera jumps back to the last unit and takes a screenshot of said unit.  This is the first time I have used Steam for screenshots.  Am I doing something wrong?     

1 hour ago, Bird of Flawed Neutrality said:

I use Gyazo personally. It's fairly lightweight. 

At $5 per month that's pretty expensive for the pro version. Do you use the free version? My quick read of their web site seems to indicate that all screen captures are uploaded automatically. Is that the case? Are there copies on your HD too?

Edited by IanL
Fix auto correct

13 minutes ago, IanL said:

At $5 per month that's pretty expensive for the pro version. Do you use the free version? My quick read of their web site seems to indicate that all screen captures are uploaded automatically. Is that the case? Are there copies on your HAD too?

Yes, all of your screen captures are uploaded immediately after being captured, but it's private until you share the link. Lastly, anyone who isn't you cannot view the rest of your collection, so it's fairly private. Whatever OCR data or metadata is collected is also kept private, though you can see them I believe (OCR, I believe is pro only). Also, it gets saved on your hard drive if you choose to download the file. It does not automatically download the file for you.

Extra Tidbits:

I use the free version, and it's good enough for me. You get some neat gizmos with the pro version, but it's really not worth the money. With the free version, you only keep your screenshots for a limited time. Keep in mind, it still keeps your files on hand, so it only affects your access to them. It used to be a month at most, but now you can only access your screenshots for what feels like a day. So, you might want to save whatever you like ASAP. I do remember there was a workaround where if you have a direct link to the picture, you can still access it whenever and wherever.

Lastly, it has the ability to record GIFs for a limited amount of time. It works alright, and it stores it in mp4 format. However, you can download it as a gif or mp4 file.

Overall, it's lightweight, simple to use, and convenient. Also, you can upload whatever you want to Gyazo by right clicking on the picture and clicking "send to gyazo" if you want link an image to someone. I think the only downside is that it doesn't seem to have a blanket screen capture key. You need to basically click and drag over the area you want to take a picture of. Convenient but also inconvenient at times.

Edited by Bird of Flawed Neutrality

9 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That's odd FRAPS works fine for me with both CM:A & CM:SF.....Do you have CM:A working OK now?

Yes.  I am taking incoming in Herat Afghanistan as we speak. :o 

2 hours ago, Bird of Flawed Neutrality said:

I use Gyazo personally. It's fairly lightweight. It does work for Combat Mission from what I've tried, so I would recommend giving that screen capture software a shot.

Okay.  Thanks for the info.