Iskander-M can also fire operational-strategic Iskander-K cruise missile

If you thought Iskander-M and Kaliber were bad news, Iskander-K, which can be fired by the Iskander-M TEL, makes it much much worse. It may already be in  4 out of 5 Iskander-M Brigades, is GRAU designated 9M728 and is a cruise missile, possibly of the Kalibr family, called R-500. Reports place the range at 2000 kilometers, possibly more, but outright breaching the INF and from garrison in Luga (26th Missile Brigade in the Western Military District), can reach to at least Paris!

https://russiandefpolicy.blog/2016/11/20/iskanders-reach/

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Michael Emrys,

It's a very good thing I don't have the real picture, else I'd probably describe as being more akin to "a headlong rush to oblivion." Sometimes, ignorance has its advantages! Given my current cognitive state, even if I did have the full scoop, it might short out my brain, creating the same net effect. That said, I find pie restorative, which is why the all-natural pie rhubarb-strawberry pie I got for half off yesterday is now missing two slices!

Regards,

John Kettler

P.S.

It sure would be nice to be able to play CMBS again, but at least I finally (as in after months) get some work done on one of my two book projects, so I guess I should count that as a victory.

Edited by John Kettler

11 hours ago, John Kettler said:

If you thought Iskander-M and Kaliber were bad news, Iskander-K, which can be fired by the Iskander-M TEL, makes it much much worse. It may already be in  4 out of 5 Iskander-M Brigades, is GRAU designated 9M728 and is a cruise missile, possibly of the Kalibr family, called R-500. Reports place the range at 2000 kilometers, possibly more, but outright breaching the INF and from garrison in Luga (26th Missile Brigade in the Western Military District), can reach to at least Paris!

https://russiandefpolicy.blog/2016/11/20/iskanders-reach/

Regards,

John Kettler

It is possible that missiles can not be shown on display but hidden in a warehouse.

Вполне возможно , ракеты можно не показывать на показ а спрятать на складе .

Michael Emrys,

Any time there is dark chocolate available here at the house, it's a crisis. Am deadly serious, for it's helped get me through many a grim all-nighter, It is an excellent mood stabilizer for me. Years ago I read that the pharmaceutical companies had discovered cacao has over 100 psychoactive compounds and were looking to put them out in prescription strength. If you want something tasty and not very sweet on the dark chocolate benefit front, try Kashi's Dark Cocoa Karma, which is essentially Spoon Size Shredded Wheat of almost organic grade (transitional farms) raised to the level of ambrosia by the dark cocoa. Definitely psychoactive--in a good way. 

To return to topic, when the history of humanity is written, whether or not we render ourselves extinct, I expect some scholar will opine "One of the defining traits of H. Sapiens (what a ridiculous moniker) on Terra was endless creativity when it came to killing. No other species has ever proved to be as endlessly clever and ceaselessly innovative when it came to killing as H. Sapiens. Whether killing individuals, small groups or unspeakable numbers, even wrecking planets, the so-called humans were without peer. For that reason, they were justly feared. This is with no consideration whatsoever of environmental destruction by H. Sapiens of a scope and scale scarcely comprehensible and conducted not just in war but peacetime as well."

The above is a proposition I could effortlessly defend. Pretty sad, really.

Regards,

John Kettler

4 hours ago, John Kettler said:

To return to topic, when the history of humanity is written, whether or not we render ourselves extinct, I expect some scholar will opine "One of the defining traits of H. Sapiens (what a ridiculous moniker) on Terra was endless creativity when it came to killing. No other species has ever proved to be as endlessly clever and ceaselessly innovative when it came to killing as H. Sapiens. Whether killing individuals, small groups or unspeakable numbers, even wrecking planets, the so-called humans were without peer. For that reason, they were justly feared. This is with no consideration whatsoever of environmental destruction by H. Sapiens of a scope and scale scarcely comprehensible and conducted not just in war but peacetime as well."

Agreed. Somewhere in some Leonard Cohen song is a line about "the beauty of our weapons". I am certainly not the only one to have been struck by the truly incredible ingenuity as well as physical and financial resources that our species has sunk into the creation of the means of destruction, harm, and intimidation. I can but only echo a phrase from the 1960s: "Why can't we just learn to get along?"

Michael

I recall how everyone was terrified during the Cuban missile crisis.  Current situation is nothing by comparison.  Seems like populations have been brainwashed to worry more and more about less and less these days.  (Helps authorities bring on more draconian measures in the name of making us safer.)

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

I recall how everyone was terrified during the Cuban missile crisis.  Current situation is nothing by comparison.  Seems like populations have been brainwashed to worry more and more about less and less these days.  (Helps authorities bring on more draconian measures in the name of making us safer.)

Well, sure. But the thing is, many civilizing restraints appear to be falling away. The danger of nuclear holocaust is certainly no greater (for the moment), but a general breakdown of civil society seems more and more imminent.

Michael

1. A bit more complex. US developed treaty breaching cruise missiles quite a time ago - development is not prohibited. Then rolled them out as - brace yourself - cruise missile targets for AA testing - formally, test mussiles are not prohibited either. What a fine difference between a working cruise missile and working cruise missile to be shot down :D DoS simply declined to discuss the topic during negotiations. What a wonder the other side carefully re-read the text :) Actually it's still official US position - cruise missile targets are not to be discussed...
  2. In principle it was inevitable since the moment the US quit ABM treaty. If ABM comes then ABM defying delivery vehicles are welcome :(