BTR-80 1V152 precision arty

BTR-80 1V152 in hull down position cannot call precision arty, laser designator cannot see targets probably...

BTR-80%201V152%20pic%2001_zpsnnp256mz.jp

BTR-80%201V152%20pic%2002_zpszpbbszcg.jp

Also why the call time is same for vehicle and for forward observer team? In this example both 6 minutes. I thought, that to use electronics in the vehicle can speed it up, but not that case... Why?

Also why forward observed has no radio and no connection to HQ?

BTR-80%201V152%20pic%2003_zpsrru3lzpf.jp

BTR-80%201V152%20pic%2004_zpsay6puyd6.jp

Edited by Marwek77 aka Red Reporter

I am not sure about the inability to call precision arty from hull down or about the time difference between the calls made by FO team vs the FO vehicle. But I do know that the FO without a radio still being able to call artillery is as designed. There is a requirement for on map artillery to be near a radio net to be called but the FO (or HQ) who makes the call does not. This is due to abstracting some off the communication. In WW2 it simulates wired field telephones and runners. Not sure how relevant that is in modern titles but it is how the game is designed.

On the subject of hull down use of lazer range finders or call times someone else will need to comment.

I can confirm that other too artillery observation vehicles can call precision fire in hull down position.

AOV%20MT-LBU%201V14_zpsvvuvlzeu.jpg

AOV%20PRP-4M_zpsczrgzjac.jpg

Call time for veterans is 6 minutes.

PRP-4M has radar, so it can see all the time, check the picture with the smoke! It can call precision fire under smoke cover in hull down! Goood!

Something other than hull-down status is going on here.  In a quick test, I could select for precision for a target that reported hull-down to the 1v152 and was not able to select precision on another target area that was not hull-down to the 1v152.

edit: I suspect this may be related to the ability of FO's to call for missions to defilade spots that are just beyond their LOS (e.g. just over a hill crest).

Edited by akd

I know now why the FO had no radio! Screenshot was done in a moment when they were too far for handsignals and radio contact was not yet established, see pictures...

FO%2001_zpsrybnyuk4.jpg

HQ is close enough still...

FO%2002_zpsdsrcein6.jpg

HQ not so close anymore...

FO%2003_zps8nincykg.jpg

HQ too far, but radio connection not established yet...

FO%2004_zpsapsmutuo.jpg

Hey can you here me?

So possible bug is only unability for BTR-80 1V152 to call precision fire from hull down position...

Here is more specifically what I found: if the normal targeting tool (for the vehicle, not the artillery mission) reports the target location as "Reverse Slope - No Aim Point, Spotter is Hull Down," the "Precision" option is not available.  If the location reports as "Reverse Slope - No Aim Point" or "Reverse Slope - No Aim Point, Spotter is Partial Hull Down," the "Precision" option is sometimes, but not always, available.

Thanks for the test. I have a slightly different question.

So, embarking FO team or AC team in the FO vehicle does not giving any of advantage in delivery time (except the PRP-4M's radar)? Then, what is the meaning of FO or AC team in the game? If we could bring UAV / Airstrike / Arty support by FO vehicle crews in same or better delay time (and possibly accuracy as well?) when compared to FO team (or AC team), we don't need to purchase FO team, isn't it? It seems that buying both of them in QB is waste of point and overlap of rules...  I really wish to check about the rule and ability of FO team and FO vehicle. 

Also, does the experience and motivation of FO unit / Artillery (or airplane) clearly effect on delivery time? If yes, how much? Is the difference significant for airstrike and 152/155mm shell? 

Edited by exsonic01

Experience is critical for RUS/UKR deliver times - I pretty much always use Elite FO/AC and Elite artillery for sorta/kinda usable call times. Anything lower is just pointless.

From what Ive seen, motivation just affects if the FO/AC will still call in the strike despite being under attack. Motivation doesnt affect artillery.

Edited by kinophile

+1.  Have been shocked at the long ETA times and very poor accuracy of Russian arty.  I find this hard to believe given the Russians' history of depending on arty.   However, if this is accurate, then that alone gives the Russians a huge disadvantage in any conventional conflict (let alone their carrier aircraft debacle).  What on earth is NATO worried about?

Just did a side by side comparison of M109A7 with 2S19M2 each called by dedicated battalion task force / tactical group FOs and the difference in delivery time in favor of the US was 1-2 min.  Accuracy was the same (mean point of impact perfectly centered on desired target in both cases), but precision (dispersion of rounds) heavily favored the US.  However, this latter discrepancy is probably the result of recent data on Russian systems provided to the devs resulting in changes to Russian systems to make them more realistic, but US systems still needing to be revisited in light of that (conventional US munitions are likely too precise).

Edited by akd