About Floating Icons

JM Stuff

Hi all 

I made a new set of floating Icons (better I trying)

there are in my point of view looking good but

when I put in the game are really bads,

perhaps too much infos?

how can I increase them and what is the maximum size allowed ?

...give you some view

...thank you to your coments.

sorry dont remember how i can put an image view 

[icon british blue infantry 1.bmp]

icon british blue infantry 1.bmp

icon british blue infantry 2.bmp

icon german red ammo_bearer 1.bmp

icon german red ammo_bearer 2.bmp

icon usa blue smg infantry 1.bmp

icon usa blue smg infantry 2.bmp

icon british blue infantry 1.bmp

Edited by 3j2m7

I strongly suspect that they are being scaled to 32 by 32.  For my modded icons I stayed with 32 by 32 which is the default.  Is the "looking bad" because of scaling done by the game?  You might be able to scale them manually (with touching up) and have them look much better. 

To see what the game is doing in terms of scaling you could create a 128 x 128 with squares 2x2, 3x3, 4x4 etc and then look at them in game and see what scaling the game did to them.  Get in close to see the max size of the icon and grab a screen shot.  Then you can compare your test pattern to the in game rendering and you should be able to tell what size the game is scaling the icons too.  It would be awsome if it was something bigger than 32 x 32 but I would also be surprised :D

8 hours ago, Erwin said:

Interesting effort to make the unit types clearer.  But given the very small size they are in the game, can one really see that detail?

Thanks you Erwin IanL I appreciate your comments ...yes I took lot of time to try to have a good result I m not perfect to moding but i try to make something aceptable and perhaps helpfull for everybody working on moment with paintnet cos dont have the full versión of Photoshop now...looking good yes but in the Game looking uggly and Too small I Will try to follow the recommandations from LanL and try to make something more visible...thanks you to your replies this is nice and agreable to tecieve comments recommandations or only critics this mean that somwwhere some peoples pay attention to your efforts and this is a rich feeling...

34 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

I think you're on to something good, but if you try to show too much at the same time, the player won't see the detail. So I suggest you just go with the helmet and maybe the weapon. Helmets were pretty iconic in WW2; easy to see the difference between a US, British, and German helmet.

Thank you Bulletpoint this is in the way that I want foccussed my efforts,,, weapons silhouetttes are the keys of the units type but personly I like to see helmets from troops...and like to see the difference between Troops NCO and OFFiCERS about Officiers would like to have an Icon like (commanding Cie like capt) different that (the HQ platoon Lt or NCO) (illustration in pictures) but... you Erwin and IanL are right, is probably too much informations...but I will make something for sure, to be continued...

compared 

icon usa blue infantry 1.bmp

icon blue hq 1.bmp

icon blue hq 1B.bmp

icon red fo 1.bmp

All comments suggestions and critics are welcome...

Edited by 3j2m7