"Inconsistency" Mortars

35 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Select smoke.

Haha i knew that, but i could not (quickly at least) find a mortar team thats loadout contained only WP, where as I knew that the m4a3 had WP exclusively. 

i have no idea if i'm responding so sarcasm or not, if i am i apologies.  

Edit: and to Micheal, you are correct, by wounded i meant that "yellow" state pixeltruppen have where they continue to fight at a what i assume is reduced effectivess, i don't actually know what to call that state? but of course i can see a 75mm shell causing a survivable wound, it was indeed naive of me to assume it would be 100% fatal, but to get up and continue to walk? i am still skeptical 

Edited by Cobetco

20 minutes ago, Cobetco said:

Edit: and to Micheal, you are correct, by wounded i meant that "yellow" state pixeltruppen have where they continue to fight at a what i assume is reduced effectivess, i don't actually know what to call that state? but of course i can see a 75mm shell causing a survivable wound, it was indeed naive of me to assume it would be 100% fatal, but to get up and continue to walk? i am still skeptical 

Well, consider the case of a guy who is reaching out to gesture to his men just as the shell comes in and takes off a finger. Unlikely, sure, but possible. And it was a big war and anything that could happen surely did and maybe more than once.

Michael

11 hours ago, Cobetco said:

Haha i knew that, but i could not (quickly at least) find a mortar team thats loadout contained only WP, where as I knew that the m4a3 had WP exclusively. 

i have no idea if i'm responding so sarcasm or not, if i am i apologies.  <Snip> 

No sarcasm at all my friend.  I was serious but I should have gone into more detail.  I don't think there is a mortar team that contains only WP.  You just select a mortar team that has any amount of WP.  As an example select a US 81mm mortar team off map (you could also use on map).  The off map team has 2 mortars with 110 rounds HE and 8 rounds WP.  

In the Fire Support Mission Request Parameters:

Third parameter is Mission.  Select Smoke at the bottom of the list.  Now the 81mm mortar team will fire the 8 WP rounds and only the WP rounds.  You can now test the effects of the WP isolated from any HE.   

For what it's worth I did some testing with Smoke about a year ago and my notes read: Smoke rounds may cause suppression and casualties but at a much lesser degree than HE.  I just ran a quick experiment with Rounds labeled WP and rounds labeled Smoke.  The WP did pin the infantry squad for most of the turn and produced a lot of smoke.  The pin went away as soon as the 8 WP rounds were expended (Same turn).  The smoke rounds just caused some suppression and of course smoke.  So IMO WP is most useful in game if thought of and employed as smoke.   

I apologize for my earlier short response. :)   

Edited by MOS:96B2P

On November 11, 2016 at 10:11 PM, Warts 'n' all said:

I don't know if is my imagination or not, but the German 50mm seems to feature in this game far less often than it did the original "Beyond Overlord".

I had one more thought about this a little while ago. And that is, is it possible that in this case you might be confusing BO with BB or AK? Both the latter two games cover the period when the 50mm was in service, and although it has been many years since I played either one, I could swear that I too saw it there.

Michael

Remember that CMBN has a LOT more, and more highly detailed, battalion organisations than CMBO/AK did. It's not surprising that your seeing fewer 50mm, because you're playing with a greater variety of unique units, only some of which include the 50mm.

On 14/11/2016 at 5:05 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

Smoke rounds may cause suppression and casualties but at a much lesser degree than HE.  I just ran a quick experiment with Rounds labeled WP and rounds labeled Smoke.  The WP did pin the infantry squad for most of the turn and produced a lot of smoke.  The pin went away as soon as the 8 WP rounds were expended (Same turn).

I believe I once read in some patch notes that the damage caused by WP had been reduced.

28 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

I believe I once read in some patch notes that the damage caused by WP had been reduced.

IMO it would be nice to have WP and Smoke have distinctly different uses in the game.  But as far as I can tell they both work pretty much like Smoke.