Reinforcements... we know your there!

Some years back, mentioned this, thought I bring it up again.

Would like to see reinforcements clocked in minutes (If it was easily possible that is), instead of 5 minute portions.

This would add more uncertainly in scenarios.

For example, instead of forces entering a game in block, they can be fed into the game move by move... i.e. a convoy.

Opponents, would be more unaware of the cycle. (Every 5 minutes to predictable).

Reinforcements, for both sides unlikely to arrive at the same time.

Not that a change like this would be revolution in the game, just add a little spice to the meal.

A designer can add variable time to the entry time for reinforcements.  The game will have them enter in a range of up to fifteen minutes from the designated entry time, either early or late.  The range is not in five minute blocks either so they could enter 2 minutes early or twelve minutes late for example.  There are useful situations for the variable entry times, however, the unpredictability of the arrival time makes it more complicated when creating AI plans.

Edited by ASL Veteran

I always liked the idea of toggle-able reinforcements, although I'm not so sure they would have a lot of practical use. Perhaps in a campaign you could have the option to call on another company/battalion for support, but if you suffer too high casualties then you'll be screwed the next mission. Kind of requires a campaign for context though, because in a regular battle I'm not sure who would really say no to more forces (read: firepower) unless there were some serious point consequences for using the additional forces. Not a feature I'm chomping at the bit for, just spit-balling. 

I play campaigns almost exclusively as I enjoy the RL challenges of force and ammo conservation,  So, I like the idea of being able to request reinforcements. However, I don't think they should be automatic.  It would be good if the AI could function as a higher command and only issue reinforcements based on its evaluation of how you are doing.  ie:  The AI would be unlikely to reinforce obvious failure.

Another idea would be the ability of the player to designate some part of one's initial force as a "reserve" in exchange for additional victory points or a higher victory level.  This reserve could be held in a safe location and be unable to be moved, or the units would disappear from the set-up map and be held off-map.  If one needs to call upon the reserve to move on-map, one forfeits those bonus points or victory level.

Very importantly - in terms of the fun factor and to keep a campaign enjoyable and playable, one should be able to access sufficient reinforcements so that a poorer player can keep playing to the conclusion of a campaign.  There is little worse than having to replay a mission several times in order to "get the right result to get to the next mission".

So, the reinforcement system needs to be more generous at the easier play levels.

• 2 weeks later...