Ammo Data

First shot at collecting real ammo  consumption data.

This is the end state, I collected this data by hand and entered in a spreadsheet after playing the computer. I'm trying to determine how much ammo is enough. My first impression is that infantry never needs to carry anything extra, and that if it were possible, it would be good to drop a great deal of what they start with. This scenario does not do much to demonstrate anything, but it does show that vehicles don't need any extra ammo at all.

This scenario ended in a U.S. Total Victory, a Russian Surrender. It was played on Iron, in Real Time.

It was a huge scenario, played on a small map. Since I managed to forget to record which map, I've included a screen shot of the map.

The U.S. force was an excellent quality Combined Arms Task Force, using one armored company, Delta Company, the Task Force HHC, two airstrikes which never got a chance to hit and an extra battery of 155s.

Comments are invited.

AAR%20Map_zps1b8vovcv.jpg

AAR Ammo.pdf

You can find out the map used by displaying the briefing (Menu | Briefing) in the game (if you have a save).

I had a quick look and have a question.  I believe you said those numbers were ammo used numbers correct?  Several units have ammo expendature but have a note "Did not engage".  How is that possible?

Thanks for taking the time to create the PDF and share.  I downloaded it and gave it a look over.  Probably not enough data yet to come up with an SOP for a basic load.  I find it a bit frustrating the way the game handles the amount of ammo that can be Acquired.  For example if a US two man scout team in a Bradley wants to Acquire 5.56mm ammo from the Brad the smallest starting increment is 1000 rounds.  I think it would be interesting to find an SOP for a basic ammo load however I'm afraid the game mechanics of Acquire would probably not facilitate a SOP.  Any SOP would be dependent on the increments allowed.

If you do decide on how much ammo is enough I would be interested in the numbers and reasoning.  

Thanks again.         

You're welcome.

Here's the next game I played.

Battle type: Probe

Battle size: Medium

Length of battle: 45 minutes

Map selection: Automatic

Map size: small

Environment: city

Year: 2017

Month: June

Daylight: Random (Dawn)

Weather: Random (Clear)

Ground: Dry

Rarity: Loose

Attacker (Player): U.S. Army

Defender: Random Red

Map is “City-Damaged 096r”

Intent is for a high density CQB, conducted by U.S. Infantry. The U.S. force is a mechanized rifle company (mixed), mounted in Bradleys. They have no supporting arms, scouts or engineers. The company F.O. has been stripped out along with the UAV. This is probably close to the worst case I would involve infantry in. The only thing that would be worse than this is the same battle without vehicles of any kind.

The strategy is the move up the west block to a flanking position west of the main objective, set vehicles in an L on the north and west sides of the main objective, turn the infantry east and sweep through the main objective. The tactics are to set heavy weapon systems (both an M1A2 and M2A3) on the first and second north-south street on the western side of the objective, and move dismounted infantry through the blocks themselves. The turn to the east will begin when vehicles are set at the far corners of the flanking position facing east.

Infantry will move in teams by squads. Platoon leaders will dismount, the Company Commander and XO will remain mounted. Vehicles will smoke streets before infantry crosses them for as long as the vehicles have smoke.

The infantry are carrying M320s and M4A1s as squad marksman rifles. They will not take any extra ammo or any weapons from the vehicles. Enemy armor is to be engaged with armor, not infantry. Infantry will set up dismounted.

The basic load for an infantry squad:

5.56: 3,470

40mm HEDP: 52

Grenades: 25

AT4: 2

Aftermath:

The game ended in a U.S. Army Tactical Defeat.

U.S. casualties were 9 KIA, 6 WIA, 2 armored vehicles lost.

Enemy casualties were 83 KIA, 71 WIA, 1 MIA.

The enemy turned out to be Russian infantry.

There was one infantry team that could have used more 5.56 ammo. A team, 1st Squad, 2nd Platoon was down to 32 rounds of 5.56 between five men. When the battle ended, there were nearby vehicles that the team could have reached safely carrying literally tons of 5.56 ammo.

Conclusion: in this, one of the worst cases for U.S. infantry, carrying a basic load, only one team ran virtually out of ammo. Running out of ammo is an extremely rare circumstance for American infantry. If extra ammo is needed by infantry, that infantry should rely on ammo carried in nearby vehicles rather than sacrificing any mobility to carry any extra ammo on foot.

Ammo2.pdf

Edited by Jammersix

This is very useful info.  Am so worried about running out and the current ACQUIRE system is such PITA that like many, I always load up at set-up.  However, if one has to do a lot of suppressive fire, one does use a lot of ammo.  That's when it's easy to run out.