Incendiary Smoke

I am curious about this In CMBS and CMSF Russians/Syria have it but US/NATO forces do not. Are not Western forces equipped with this technology and, if not, is there any reason they could not be so equipped. It does block Thermal Sights but Russian tanks have this level of technology as well.NATO would want to counter that capability. No such qa problem in Syria b when fighting the big boys in Eastern Europe...

The game does specifically model several different types of smoke including WP. Some smoke blocks IR and some doesn't, some smoke will even create casualties if you try to walk thru it (or at least it used to) and some doesn't.  I don't think, though, that specific info is listed in the manual (its been awhile since I've read the thing). So you did the right thing to come on the board and ask. This might be the only place you'll find out what is what.

Somewhere on this forum I remember reading a fairly long series of posts as to why artillery smoke rounds do NOT block thermal sights like smoke dischargers do. If memory serves me correctly, it had to do with not being able to achieve the necessary concentration of "blocking elements" to work properly. The person who responded had more knowledge on the subject and had a pretty good explanation for why. 

Apparently there are some manufacturers who claim their product works...but the claims were unsupported.

Try a word search...it should show up.

On June 28, 2016 at 6:09 AM, LUCASWILLEN05 said:

I am curious about this In CMBS and CMSF Russians/Syria have it but US/NATO forces do not. Are not Western forces equipped with this technology and, if not, is there any reason they could not be so equipped. It does block Thermal Sights but Russian tanks have this level of technology as well.NATO would want to counter that capability. No such qa problem in Syria b when fighting the big boys in Eastern Europe...

I honestly can't figure out what you are asking.

2 hours ago, akd said:

I honestly can't figure out what you are asking.

Simple enough. If US and other Western forces have the technology,why do they not have it in game. I can understand it for CMSF. Syrians do not usually have TI,hence Western forces do not require smoke that blocks their night vision equipment. Ukraine however is different. Here Russian equipment does have TI and it would be useful to obstruct TI/

However, in game tank mounted smoke grenades only seem to dispense ordinary smoke, not the dark colured variety i am used to seeing for the incendiary variety

I believe all US vehicle launched smoke grenades are thermal blocking. For Redfor and UKR the new models of MBT and IFV also launch thermal blocking smoke. Older kit launch older smoke grenades which affect the visible spectrum only and appear as black smoke in the game. 

Tube launched smoke effect visible spectrum only.

@LUCASWILLEN05 I think you have it backwards. 

Modern Tank/IFVs pop white, infrared and optically opaque smoke to block lazing and thermal imaging.

Older vehicles (eg Ukrainian BTR-4E) pop black, optically opaque but thermally irrelevant smoke. 

Personally,  if I see a BTR 4E popping it's crappy, 'burning tractor tire' smoke I assume 1)its about to die,  2)theres a much more advanced unit looking at it. 

Edited by kinophile

2 hours ago, antaress73 said:

Arty smoke WILL degrade thermal sensors by some margin in the game .

Hmm I'd need to see some examples.... As RUS I never try to hide from US with smoke, but it's useful against older UKR vehicles (and vice versa). 

Edited by kinophile

21 hours ago, LUCASWILLEN05 said:

Simple enough. If US and other Western forces have the technology,why do they not have it in game. I can understand it for CMSF. Syrians do not usually have TI,hence Western forces do not require smoke that blocks their night vision equipment. Ukraine however is different. Here Russian equipment does have TI and it would be useful to obstruct TI/

However, in game tank mounted smoke grenades only seem to dispense ordinary smoke, not the dark colured variety i am used to seeing for the incendiary variety

All US vehicle smoke is IR-blocking.  Black RUS / UKR vehicle smoke is not IR blocking.  White RUS / UKR vehicle smoke (e.g. Shtora) is IR-blocking.  No army in game fields IR-blocking artillery smoke, but all smoke somewhat degrades LOS, even if spotter has thermals.

Edited by akd

5 hours ago, akd said:

All US vehicle smoke is IR-blocking.  Black RUS / UKR vehicle smoke is not IR blocking.  White RUS / UKR vehicle (e.g. Shtora) is IR-blocking.  No army in game fields IR-blocking artillery smoke, but all smoke somewhat degrades LOS, even if spotter has thermals.

I guess I am just used to seeing what you see in CMSF. I got used to seeing the black smoke as being IR- blocking incendiary smoke.Not seeing it in CMBS resulted in an incorrect assumption it was just normal smoke. Not to worry -Know better now :-)