M1A2 SEPv3 in works

2 hours ago, Ivanov said:

Note the weights on the turret. They simulate the additional armor. Good, old Abrams is going to get even fatter :)

UJIi_LPO.jpg

Or is it?

Additional armor has been discussed, but part of every M1A3/M1A2 SEP v3 model I've seen trotted out has been weight reduction.  Including a new lighter main gun (same basic performance, but employing material sciences advances to make the whole assembly weigh less), replacing much of the copper wiring harness (which does come out to tons of material), and other odds and end.  

It's going to be interesting to see where it winds up, but "heavier" is not exactly certain.  

It will be very comprehensive upgrade, with vast improvement to the interior's ergonomics.

SEPv2:

Gunner.jpg

SEPv3

ECP1.png

However from what I've heard, the new additional armor, is by all means on the table. Check out the video about 0.57 sec:

Edited by Ivanov

I'm really not sure how I feel about those screens.  Like conceptually they're neat, but they look like the kind of thing that's going to get utterly destroyed the first time someone hops in the tank in a hurry, or PV2 Snuffy is cleaning out the turret after an FTX.  

Other random errrta:

The V2 photo only shows the Gunner's station.  The Commander's station is visible in the second photo.  I never took a really good photo of the v2's station so you'll have to bear with me there.  The screen sort of thing in front of the commander's position is present on the v2 too, but it's larger and much thicker.  It was also two seperate displays, one CITV, and a MFD that could do your CROWs, BFT, and systems status displays.  There was also a second joystick on the right closer to the turret wall, and behind the one present in the photo that operated the CROW, along with a control box mounted sort of center right (basically above where your arm would rest in for the Commander's override control) that handled some CROW functions.

On a whole the v3 one just looks more incomplete, like clearly some of the missing controls are supposed to go to the displays now, but the screens almost look placeholder-y vs something robust enough to operate, and the lack of CROWs controls either points to:

a. The CROWS is now somehow integrated with the CITV controls.
b. The CROWS is not installed on this tank/the equipment layout is not finalized.  

Whatever.  Still feels weird.  I have to imagine this is how the M1IP guys who left the military in the 80's felt like when the M1A1 hit primetime.  

4 hours ago, Krater said:

Is there any rhyme or reason as to which tanks get upgraded?  Would they upgrade M1A2 SEP2 -> SEP3, or would they go to the "base" M1A1->M1A2 SEP?

Normally it's whatever is oldest in the depots.  Like many "new" early run M1A2 SEPs were actually M1IPs of 1980's vintage that had been turned in when the M1A1 became common (you can actually see some of the earlier model ones with M1IP style odds and ends if you look hard enough).  Generally these older depot vehicles get the overhaul, then the old tanks get turned in, and basically it's sort of like a treadmill (with the M1A2 SEP v2s likely coming out of storage to become M1A6E1s when the first tank mounted railguns enter service I suppose).   

It's done this way from my understanding so that if tanks are lost in number, there's enough of the "almost as good" last generation tanks still in storage, instead of simply upgrading the newest and best tanks over and over again, ensuring that when they're gone and you're going into depots, it's all straight out of 1984 hardware or something.