Recommend me a book

3 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

You might take a look at Rick Atkinson's The Day of Battle.

+1. His 'Liberation Trilogy' is very good.  Atkinson's books are meticulously researched, and he moves easily from a grunt's eye perspective to the inner workings of the highest command. I agree with Michael's assessment, and he can be rather dismissive of Monty, though not of the Commonwealth armies. He gives credit where it is due, and with respect to the Italian campaign covers the contributions of various allies like Berbers, New Zealanders and Juin's French troops, who were instrumental, and perhaps even responsible for, the unhinging of the Gustav line, despite their exposed right flank.

You could do far worse than picking up this book.

4 hours ago, grunt_GI said:

Well, if you want a more balanced but still mostly American perspective, but with lots of detail and maps, the Green Books are also a great resource..

The Green Books are excellent for what they are. The problem is that they can be very hard to find, especially in their original printing with all the great maps. There was an effort several years ago to digitize them with mixed results, but I don't know if those are still available for purchase.

Michael

12 hours ago, grunt_GI said:

Well, if you want a more balanced but still mostly American perspective, but with lots of detail and maps, the Green Books are also a great resource..

http://www.history.army.mil/html/bookshelves/collect/ww2-mto.html

Overall, I think Atkinson's book is really good.

The link is blocked for me (Sweden). It has happened a lot lately when trying to download free WWII books from sites like that :(

Found in another place two books "Sicily to Cassino" and "Cassino to ?" - do they comprise the "Green Book"? Seems official like Cole's book on the Ardennes.

9 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

The Green Books are excellent for what they are. The problem is that they can be very hard to find, especially in their original printing with all the great maps. There was an effort several years ago to digitize them with mixed results, but I don't know if those are still available for purchase.

Michael

https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/sku/008-029-00550-6

This is EVERYTHING done on the US Army in World War 2 on DVD from the GPO...they are all in PDF format and include all the maps.  A BARGAIN at only $11...I bought them on CD as separate volumes years ago and they are fantastic.

2 hours ago, grunt_GI said:

This is EVERYTHING done on the US Army in World War 2 on DVD from the GPO...they are all in PDF format and include all the maps.  A BARGAIN at only $11...I bought them on CD as separate volumes years ago and they are fantastic.

Looks good, but seems to be out of print/stock.

2 hours ago, grunt_GI said:

I purchased it myself and though I have many Green Books some of the ones on the cd are very hard to find or expensive. If you can find this buy it.. They often list items as backorder but I've gotten a couple of books that were on backorder and they do get them pretty fast.

On May 5, 2016 at 2:27 PM, rocketman said:

I'm looking for a book covering the mainland Italy operations from an Allied perspective, preferably one with operational scope and yet enough detail for inspiration for scenarios. Lots of maps and pictures also a plus.

I just started the book Salerno that sounds like the kind of thing you are asking for. Many accounts of battles with reasonably good maps and lots of them. Available from the Government Printing Office.

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys

On 5/6/2016 at 7:33 AM, rocketman said:

The link is blocked for me (Sweden). It has happened a lot lately when trying to download free WWII books from sites like that :(

Found in another place two books "Sicily to Cassino" and "Cassino to ?" - do they comprise the "Green Book"? Seems official like Cole's book on the Ardennes.

You are correct about the four books for the Mediterranean Theater of Operations (Green Books).  The titles are 

NORTHWEST AFRICA: SEIZING THE INITIATIVE IN THE WEST

SICILY AND THE SURRENDER OF ITALY

SALERNO TO CASSINO

CASSINO TO THE ALPS