Ideal Tool for the Pacific

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is also zillions of actions in Malaya, New Guinea, the Phillipines, Burma (ok, not the Pacific, but more-or-less the same theatre), and a nice combination of one-sided (Japanese and Allied, depending) plus some hotly contested fights.

I think the CM engine would do the job brilliantly.

• 2 weeks later...

Darryl,

And what about the Western Front 1940? You could also create a hypothetical invasion of Britain, that would be cool(Sealion.) Maybe you include that in MTO?

And is it possible to play the Italian campaign in CM1? I don't see why not. You have the Americans, the Brits, the Germans, and I don't think there are any important terrain features missing...

Guest Captain Foobar

The only aspect of the Pacific Theatre that seems less fun to me, is that the Operational level of the ground combat seems like a foregone conclusion. If you are going to play Japan, there isnt much you would do by winning a battle, The Americans are coming, and will eventually win no matter what you do.

I can see the argument coming that the same would be true in CM's European Setting, but at least in Europe you can change things on the ground. In the Pacific, you hold an island, or you take an island... (zzzzzzz)

And I know that it is rare for this level of play to be have a major result on a front, but tell that to the defenders of bastogne...

North Africa - desert terrain - manouvre - manouvre - manouvre - FUN!!

Dense forest - massed troops packed as close as what the unit outline will allow and then watch the AI have all the fun?

Nope - my vote is with BTS's scheme of things as it stands - if they bring out POF later - no problem - will buy it as well, but don't jump the planned queue.

Know that's not what you're asking Bill smile.gif

Guest scurlock

Wish I'd seen this tread earlier. If the terrain could be modeled right (corral and volcanic rock, extreamly soft volcanic sand, dense vegitation etc.). The pacific would be the extreem in squad level action. Wouldn't take too much work iether. The Nipons didn't use tanks on the islands much (although they were desisve in the early Burma campain). The American stuf is allready modeled except for Marine type squads. I'd be interested in it. Having said that, France 1940, the Desert, and the Eastern Front in that order are my personal priorities. The west just happens to be the theater of operations that I find most facinating.

I love reading the posts that pop up occasionally about the PTO being "dense forests",or short range , or infantry only or lack of combined arms and whatnot and how boring it is. Talk about stereotyping. I guess you guys don't read much?

Los

Put me down for a copy of PTO whenever it comes out.