Ideal Tool for the Pacific

A PTO game by BTS would be great. In the distant past I played an excellent game called (ironically enough) "PTO" on a Sega machine. The game was written by a Japanese group called KOEI. I have been looking for a similar game for the PC ever since.

This PTO game modelled every ship (US & JAP) that actually fought in the Pacific WW2. I don't know if the CM people would care to deal with Ships ( Carrriers, Planes, etc.) but it would be good to see them try. The Pacific theatre, of course, utilized very little Armor. In fact that which was used by Allies was usually obsolete stuff from the European Theatre. The Japanese, especially in the ocean archipelagos, did not favor heavy armor.

Anyways, just a thought. Later...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remeber PTO on sega, played the hell out of it smile.gif

that and romance of the three kingdoms, PTO II I didn't care for that much though, had to go with golf, football and hockey instead.

I just wanted to cast my vote for a PTO CM. I would like it after the Eastern Front. I think assaulting things like that cave system at Iwo Jima would be really cool. However, it would probably be hard for you guys to model Iwo Jima since all Japanese fortications were linked by an underground system. BTS would have to model that.

wink.gif

I live in Rabaul for 12 years - I was also born there - then moved to Austrailia ...best childhood memories biggrin.gif

Let just say the terrain there is pretty damn rough smile.gif Plenty of Tank relics, bunkers, bullet shells, crashed bombers etc...best view from some of the hills there..

I'm not sure how CM could portray the jungle there smile.gif

------------------

------------------

CCJ

BLITZ_Force

My HomePage -----> www.geocities.com/coolcolj/

Check out my Combat Mission Beta Demo Tweaked Textures ;)

I thought about a WWI version, too. But when you think about it, most of it would be kind of boring from a game point of view on this scale.

Kind of like the beach landing problem, at company level: two game turns, one long arty prep, one over the top and everybody dies. The dead body option would be the most entertaining thing about the WWI game.

The scale is part of what makes this work, integral to the concept you could say, and that's why modeling ships and Zeppelins seems pretty much out of the question (except as OBA). Of course, there aren't any good medieval games out there... hmmm.

I think they could do a great job with PTO, but I suspect it will require a custom engine job, for tunnels and jungle, etc. LRRPs in Burma shouldn't be overlooked. Some nice ANZAC possibilities to broaden the market base, too.

On the "vote early -- and often" theory, I once again support CM in the Pacific and in Korea. I fully agree that landing ops won't work (with what I've seen so far), but Guadalcanal, for one, was mostly fought after the landing. And Korea (which, having been stationed there with the 2d Inf Div, I want even more) had no landings at all. (Plus it was all WWII equipment -- on both sides!)

------------------

Airborne Combat Engineer Troop Leader (1966-1968)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>On the "vote early -- and often" theory, I once again support CM in the Pacific and in Korea.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. PTO for sure. And you all have convinced me, a Korean version would also be great wink.gif.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>And Korea ... had no landings at all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess Inchon don't count? {G,D,RLH}

-Bullethead

[This message has been edited by Bullethead (edited 12-15-99).]

Although this doesn't deal with Combat Mission, it does follow on the War in the Pacific theme. TGN is doing a remake of Gary Grigbsy's Pacific War, as most of you are aware of. Indeed, I thought that the original was one of the best wargames I have seen. It is being graphically, and internally updated. Allowing for a much more realistic game. I think that they have even included vessels as small as Minesweepers, along with all of the historical larger, Ships, Planes and Land Units. It is supposed to ship out in Spring 2000, so way after CM, but, it will hopefully quench our lust for games dealing with the Pacific Theatre, however, on the Macro scale.

Although I would love a PTO version of CM, I must admit that I would purchase a CM game set in any theater of war Steve and Charles choose to favor us with. smile.gif

As for North Africa, doesn't anyone remember the old Avalon Hill game Tobruk? One of my all-time favorite board games, it featured individual vehicles and squads as Combat Mission does, suggesting to me that a N. Africa CM would be fun indeed.

Tobruk was the second or third wargame I ever bought. I was really huge into the North African theatre at that point. Still one of the facets of WWII that I am most interested in.

I will be interested in about any CM they release.

Guest BillWood

Lets not forget about the War with Russia, the Nohoman Incidents.

And some actions from the August 1945 battles.

Of course, to really do it justice, you have to model tunnels somehow for the island battles.

God, why don't I just shut down my keyboard? In my last half dozen posts, I've forgotten that the Brits fought Zulus in the Zulu War rather than the Boer War and that there was a significant landing at Inchon during the Korean War. [Given that I actually spent my first night in Korea in September 1966 at a replacement company in Inchon, you'd think I would have remembered the landings there only sixteen years before!] [i've even seen Reverend Moon's war movie, "Inchon," with Laurence Olivier playing MacArthur!]

And I wasn't intending to sell the marines short: the 2d Inf Div, my old outfit, actually had a marine brigade during WWI. I'm so eager to post, I guess I don't think through what I'm trying to say.

------------------

Airborne Combat Engineer Troop Leader (1966-1968)

[This message has been edited by MOS was 71331 (edited 12-16-99).]

Please do PTO...For personal reasons - I think it would be sooooo coool. Think about the terrain possibilities (Kiska/Attu to places like Tarawa and New Guinea. I had an Uncle who was in the vaunted Kwangtung Army (but was captured by the Soviets) and had another cousin of my dad who was killed in the Imphal Operations in '44. Please pretty please!

Please, please do Pacific Combat Mission. I can't believe I waded this far down this thread and nobody mentioned the two battles I would most like to see modeled:

Wake Island and Pelileu.

These two magnificent ordeals capture the best of what men can do under pressure.

Anybody here ever read Hunts "Coral Comes High"? Imagine modeling "The Point" with a CM engine? God, I get goosebumps thinking about it. Scorpions in a bottle.

Europe is for weenies. Anybody can play armchair Patton anyday, but how about his equally flamboyant cousin, "Chesty" Puller? Give me an '03 springfield and some yellow leggings. Maybe an M2 light tank and a couple John Basilones...Man, the game SCREAMS of "classic".

And to anybody who thinks it would be one sided, do some reading. "Enemy on island, issue in doubt"

What about the Philipines? Manchuria?

New Britain and New Guinny? Wow! Suddenly I'm not at all looking forward to CM...

I'd totally chuck N. Afrika and Italia for a chance to see-saw across the Pacific. Maybe it's just a Marine thing. You dogface's probably wouldn't understand...

Semper Fi!

Zamo

Zamo: I mentioned Wake up around post #8, and it would be great. A what iffer ground invasion of Oahu would be kind of trick, too (I think there was one in Perfect General).

BillWood: Nomonhan is a brilliant suggestion (long as we're dreaming)! I'm kind of a Russo-Japanese aficionado, and round 2, The Bear's Revenge, would be ideal for CM. Very nasty. I don't get around Gameland as much as some here, but I have never seen a Nomonhan scenario anywhere.

Of course I would cheerfully settle for a 4th demo (just a little skirmish, mind you) any time before 25 DEC. Gotta a couple long flights to kill!

Zamo said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I'd totally chuck N. Afrika and Italia for a chance to see-saw across the Pacific. Maybe it's just a Marine thing. You dogface's probably wouldn't understand...

Semper Fi!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen, bro!

And the whole CM "operations" concept lends itself so well to PTO battles. Hell, you could probably put most of Betio, or the north end of Saipan, on a single CM map.

Oh yeah, and Chesty was WAY more flamboyant than Patton. What was it he said? "There's a fine line between a Navy Cross and a general court martial." Guess he'd know, he got 5 of them smile.gif.

-Bullethead

Semper Fi