User campaigns for all series..

First off I can't thank enough all those who have made campaigns for the the games. I love them and they have enhanced the game's longevity no end.

My only gripe is many of them (Actually stock can be the same) start off with massive battles. When I'd rather have the size slowley built up during the campaign. Sometimes these big battles right away are daunting.

So if anyone is thinking of making a campaign I'd be very happy if at least the first scenario wasn't huge..and we slwoley get drawn into bigger battles.

I'd actually love a campaign made up of tiny to medium size battles only.

Thanks

Have you played Devil's Descent? Company sized infantry-centric. Looks like Blazing 88's has been kind enough to leave it up, so check this thread for his dropbox and grab it if you don't already have it.

Another rather manageable sized campaign I've played is the Axis version of Sie Kommen II, company sized with a few vehicle and support assets. This campaign is great, but the maps are on the small side and the combat comes fast and heavy, with little opportunity for maneuver. I loved it up to the mission 'The Wetlands', which I didn't care for, and failed several times.

Edited by landser

On 3/21/2016 at 1:11 PM, Wodin said:

My only gripe is many of them (Actually stock can be the same) start off with massive battles. When I'd rather have the size slowley built up during the campaign. Sometimes these big battles right away are daunting.

Note: the Tutorial campaigns are an exception to the following:

BFC campaigns aren't tutorials. They aren't built to slowly draw you in. They're built to drive a narrative, often of some real or based-on-real combat situation. Real combat situations often start with a large action (an attempt to break a defensive line, say). It's an entirely valid narrative technique to start with a crash-bang-wallop opening scene, and since CM doesn't offer a "Currahee" map, and training runs up and down a mountain aren't a particularly engaging game mode, starting with a big contact is one of a restricted number of tropes.

Another small campaign (platoon sized) is the Outlaws. I was able to play 4 battles in a few hours. Crack US paratroops. It's fun and a nice change of pace from battalion sized slugfests. I had 4 casualties in 4 missions. Crack paratroops are tough as nails and deadly marksmen. They allow you to play more aggressively than perhaps you would in most battles. Great fun with an interestingly done briefing style.

On March 27, 2016 at 9:15 AM, landser said:

I spoke too soon. The Outlaws does indeed start with several small missions, but beginning with "Linked Up', about the fourth or fifth mission, it ramps up to Company and larger size. Seems to fit Wodin's requirements well.

This does sound interesting. Where would one find it?

Michael

9 hours ago, TGarner said:

Awesome! Thank you!

It's Blazing 88s that deserves the thanks. He even just put up (again) some CMRT campaigns after I asked about it. He is the campaign repository. But I hope to see things like Combat Mission campaigns be a bit more accessible in the future.

Is your first name Todd by any chance?